Location: Ipswich, MA
Job ID: 177066-1A
Date Posted: Jun 21, 2022
Category: Clinical Support
Welcome to Lahey Health Primary Care. With over 55 primary care practices in more than 30 nearby communities , our primary care physicians and care teams provide quality close to where our patients live or work. We have a team approach to patient care and have developed long-standing, mutually respectful relationships with local specialists at our affiliate hospitals to guide and support the most effective and efficient patient care. As part of the Beth Israel Lahey Health system, we now have the opportunity to care for even more individuals across eastern Massachusetts.
About the Job
· Provides timely, courteous, informative and confidential insurance assistance for patients and their family members and assists patients in understanding their insurance.
· Educates patients about the practice’s referral policy and preauthorization requirements. Communicates with patients regarding the need for referral authorizations
· Keeps providers informed of patient flow and/or schedule changes throughout the day. .
· May print patient schedules for upcoming day/days.
· Prepares medical records for scheduled appointments/procedure:
· Reviews for completeness before appointment and updates medical record as appropriate Provides back up or periodic administrative assistance to the practice as needed, including but not limited to:
o Answers common, non-clinical/complex questions and escalates questions as appropriate.
o Provides general information regarding the practice within scope of responsibility answers providers’ phone calls and routes to appropriate person. Takes clear messages, handles requests for information, including researching issue.
o Providing front desk coverage
· Greets patients and others in a timely manner that is respectful and empathetic.
· Registers patients, verifies health insurance coverage and demographic information. Collects co-payments, issues receipts, and obtains signatures for necessary forms.
· Schedules patient appointments and collects pre-registration information at the time of scheduling. Reviews and verifies eligibility of insurance. Obtains referrals for specialty care.
· Provides check out desk coverage.
· Schedules follow up appointments and/or provides information about recommended specialists.
· Schedules diagnostic and specialty appointments as directed by the provider or assists patients in navigating to specialists and/or testing appointments. Completes
referrals and preauthorizations per healthcare payer and practice protocols.
o Follows up with patients for appointment reminders and other issues.
o Schedules appointments and coordinating referrals and preapprovals
o Files and distributes records as necessary and in compliance with HIPAA, and policies and procedures.
o Receives and distributes mail per practice protocols.
· Functions as an effective team member, striving for optimum practice operations:
· Maximizes patient throughput to minimize wait time and improve patient satisfaction. Monitors waiting rooms and advises patients of delays or escalates concerns.
· Appropriately follows the chain of command and adheres to practice policies and procedures.
· Communicates effectively with the team utilizing established handoff procedures. Gives and accepts respectful feedback to enhance teamwork.
· Minimizes preventable harm events and consistently executes the infection control protocols. Incorporates the Culture of Safety tools in daily practice, adhering to quality and safety guidelines and communicating near-miss or potential risks.
· Maintains a clean and safe work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety.
· Functions effectively in patient crisis situations and utilizes emergency resources. Assists in preparation of patient for transport to alternative level of care
· High school diploma or equivalent required
· Experience working in a health care setting
· EMR experience
· Basic computer skills and good typing skills with accuracy and attention to detail
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the team.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
· Nursing Assistant Certification (must be maintained)
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Depends on practices’ clinical specialty
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both.
On-call Requirement: N/A
Schedule Requirements: Schedule may vary based on practice and/or physicians’ needs.
Float Pool Department: Remains available and accept assignments at any WPA practices as needed
· Reporting structure depends on the size and organizational structure of the practice
· Does not supervise others.
Maintaining a Positive Attitude
Safety and Quality
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.