Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
This role is now eligible for a $15,000 sign on bonus. Important Details: Bonuses are paid out in 3 payments: $5,000 after 30 days of hire, $5,000 after 6 months of hire, and $5,000 after 12-months of hire. To be eligible, you must be a non-BILH employee or a previous eligible employees who returns to BILH after 1 year. Previous employees returning within 1-Year are eligible for a retention bonus. Employee must be in good standing to receive the bonus at the time of payment. All bonuses are subject to applicable taxes. This program is subject to change at any point.
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Associate Chief of Nursing and the Nurse Manager the Service Leader reports directly to the ANM and is responsible and accountable for optimizing available resources while independently and collaboratively assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the care of the surgical patient. The Service Leader is responsible for providing leadership, clinical education and clinical expertise to other members of the health care team to achieve optimal patient outcomes
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Collaborates with other disciplines to facilitate the delivery of patient care.
- Ensures appropriate equipment and instrumentation are available for scheduled surgeries on day of surgery.
- Works with the ANM to create teams of excellence.
- Collaborate with ANM optimize daily staffing assignments.
- Assures that important processes and activities are identified, measured, assessed and systematically evaluates and monitors the processes. Is familiar with OR performance improvement activities and measurement data.
- Communicates effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, management, customers and visitors.
- Demonstrates effective teamwork skills by sharing information and encouraging input from other members of the team.
- Provides ANM/NM with input for staff annual performance appraisals.
- In the absence of the ANM will assume charge nurse responsibility.
- Respects the values (religious/spiritual, ethnic, cultural) of the patient and family.
- Maintains confidentiality and patient rights in interactions with the patient/family and other health care workers.
- Delegates work appropriately and provide direction and guidance to support personnel.
- Participates in nursing research activities.
- Participates in shard governance councils or nursing/hospital committees.
- Participates in activities that benefit the community.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of education and performance of clinical skills of team members.
- Provides staff education in area of expertise.
- Functions as expert resource for service specific equipment and instrumentation
- Collaborates with Clinical Educator to identify opportunities for staff development.
- In collaboration with the Clinical Educator will assure all orientation and annual competencies are completed and documented.
- Provide education and training to all team members within the service on new technology and equipment.
- Incorporates evidence-based practice into patient care activities.
- Updates and maintains the preference cards within the PICIS systems.
- Works in collaboration with the Pyxis manager and team members to assure that appropriate inventory is maintained and identify opportunities for cost savings.
- Contributes to the advancement of nursing practice in the perioperative role.
- Practice in accordance with AORN Standards of Practice.
- Practices in a manner consistent with the MA Nurse Practice Act and ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses.
- Participates in professional organization and attains/maintains CNOR status.
- Evaluates quality of practice in relation to established professional and legal standards.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
40 hours, day shift
Education: Knowledge of nursing theory and practice acquired through completion of an accredited program of professional nursing in order to be eligible for licensure as a Registered Nurse.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Must possess current Commonwealth of Massachusetts license as a Registered Nurse. CNOR and BSN.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.
Experience: Requires 5 years of perioperative nursing experience and demonstrated leadership to acquire and effectively utilize knowledge of unit and department policies and procedures, and to fulfill quality and quantity standards for the job.