Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
GENERAL SUMMARY: Oversees the day-to-day activities of the Cytology department within Laboratory Services. Ensures department meets the testing needs for its customers. Ensures the department meets regulatory and compliance standards for patient testing. Oversees supply inventory. Establishes and maintains a close working relationship with the Pathologist.
- Exemplifies Winchester Hospital’s values and Service Excellence standards. Commits to making every encounter with our patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers the best that it can be.
- Complies with all Winchester Hospital policies and the Code of Business Conduct. Maintains current tuberculosis testing. Takes responsibility for own safety as well as the safety of patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers.
- Oversees and directs activities of the Cytology department.
- Interviews, hires, orients, trains, evaluates and, when necessary, disciplines staff. Establishes work schedules within department to insure adequate staffing, revises schedule as needed. Oversees the positions within the Cytology Department, which includes, but are not limited to, Cytologists, Lab Associates, and Cytology Secretaries.
- Ensures instrumentation for department is working to standards, maintains necessary records and documentation of maintenance and repair.
- Ensures quality control for the Cytology department is in compliance with accreditation standards. Reviews, documents and maintains as necessary to insure accuracy of testing. Maintains/stores necessary Quality Control records, Normal/Abnormal Cytology slides.
- Ensures department is supplied at all times with necessary testing reagents, quality control reagents, instrument parts and supplies.
- Ensures all steps of procedures are followed and documented. Evaluates new instrumentation as needed; provides advice and direction to department staff; explains and demonstrates appropriate techniques or methods.
- Performs patient testing and functions as a cytotech.
- Assists in developing, communicating, and implementing policies and procedures to support laboratory functions.
- Ensures Histology procedure manuals meet accreditation requirements. Reviews manual on an annual basis and updates as changes occur.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies, i.e. JCAHO, College of American Pathologists and the Department of Public Health.
- Maintains knowledge of new technology or procedures in Cytology by reading appropriate literature and/or attending seminars and lectures.
- Updates staff on department news. Allows forum for ideas/suggestions. Has regularly scheduled department meetings.
- Participates in the following:
- Mandatory training requirements as per hospital/unit policies
- Continuing education/inservices to enhance knowledge
- Staff meetings
- Performance improvement initiatives
- Orientation of new staff, students and/or volunteers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in a science field.
- At least three years experience in a Cytology technical position in health care required.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, communication, judgement and analytical skills required.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Cytology Certification Required (ASCP)
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: None Required
AGE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Not Applicable
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND VISUAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to distinguish color.
- Ability to enter information into a computer or similar device. Requires manual dexterity.
- Ability to communicate in writing and orally.
- Ability to proofread documents and check for accuracy.
- Analytical ability to identify, diagnose and resolve problems.
- Ability to lift/carry light items throughout the work shift.
- Ability to work at a microscope for an extended period of time.
OSHA EXPOSURE: Job does involve possible exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
- Reports to the Associate Director of Laboratory Services and the Pathology Medical Group.
- Responsible for supervising the work of others.
40 hours weekly
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.