Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Education Required High School Diploma or equivalent
Experience Preferred: At least one year experience in similar position in a patient care setting.
As part of the Winchester Hospital team, this position:
- Greets patients and others timely and in a manner that is respectful and empathetic.
- Answers common, non-clinical/complex questions and escalates questions as appropriate. Provides general information regarding the Hospital.
- Directs individuals to their desired location, which may involve looking up information such as patient appointments and reviewing the computer system to assess the appropriate location. Provides verbal as well as written directions throughout the facility (ies).
- Confirms patients scheduled appointments as needed.
- Disseminates information to waiting patients and family members/friends as directed by clinical staff and/or as allowed by department procedures.
- Makes rounds throughout the waiting area, providing non-clinical comfort measures to patients and their family members, such as blankets, beverages, ice, etc.
- Seeks direction from clinical staff when appropriate.
- Answers patient, family members and other visitors’ questions about wait times and delays and the reason for delays without jeopardizing confidentiality.
- Is empathetic to patients and the families, being sensitive to their emotional, cultural and spiritual needs.
- When appropriate takes service recovery measures to both patients and their family members. Informs the nurse/providers of potential service recovery issues.
- Provides wheelchair assistance for patients as requested.
- Coordinates patient transportation requirements as needed. Provides assistance with the telephone as necessary. Maintains current listings for local taxis and other transportation services.
- Communicates to appropriate department/individuals when patient/visitor has arrived.
- Provides telephone coverage, receiving and transferring calls as appropriate.
- Enters patient demographic and other pertinent information into the system as directed and/or performs other basic data entry functions.
- Handles various imaging-related documentation including but not limited to labels, requisitions, orders, daily reports, logs, and PACS as required by site.
- Performs other administrative functions as needed to ensure the department runs smoothly, efficiently and seamlessly to the patients, which may include functions such as:
- Referencing data from a database or computer system and documents and/or communicates as appropriate
- Collecting specific information from patients and others
- Sorting and distributing mail
- Sorting and filing records and files
- Scanning and faxing documents
- Coping and collating materials
- Pulling records and files
- Inputting specific data in limited fields
- Cleaning out and organizing storage areas and filing cabinets
- Packing files and documenting contents for long term storage
- Provides non-clinical assistance to the staff to improve patient satisfaction, increase patient flow and improve the overall operations of the department.
Per Diem, as needed by the department
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.