Welcome to The Herrick House, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health Continuing Care. Our team provides ongoing care to individuals through our assisted living and skilled nursing facilities. Our teams of nurses, aides, food service, and environmental service employees work to create an environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual needs of our residents and patients, along with their families.
About the Job
Position Summary: Provides residents with a safe and enjoyable transportation experience; Responsible for operating the residence van or vehicle: Assists residents with entering and leaving the vehicle with baggage; Transports residents to and from appointments or other destinations; Assists with resident life and group outings as needed.
Essential Job Functions: The employee must be able to perform these essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation by The Herrick House without posing a direct threat to himself, herself, or others.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.
Van Driver Responsibilities – Resident Transportation
- Operates a 16 passenger lift bus and 3 passenger car in a safe manner
- Transports residents to and from individual appointments, group activities and other destinations as scheduled
- Assists residents in and out of vehicle and provides escort into the physician’s offices if necessary
- Enforces safety rules while traveling
- Assists with baggage as needed
- Secures necessary paperwork for individual appointments and delivers to appropriate person when requested by Resident Care staff
- Maintains transportation log to show time elapsed for individual trip for purpose of billing
- Responds to resident requests when appropriate
- Maintains up to date license for operation of vehicles
Van Driver Responsibilities – Vehicle Maintenance
- Maintains up-to-date registration and inspections of vehicles
- Services the vehicles with fuel, oil, and necessary fluids
- Maintains routine equipment replacement, e.g. wipers
- Maintains vehicles in clean and sanitary condition
- Performs emergency repairs as needed
- Informs Director of major equipment replacement needs and works with to secure necessary repairs
Other Miscellaneous Duties
- Accompanies residents on resident outings and provides assistance to Resident Life staff and residents as needed.
- Participates in resident programs as assigned.
- Transports furniture and other supplies to and from warehouse and/or vendors as needed
- Develops the “mystery ride” experience, educating the residents about various venues.
- Assists Resident Life Director in planning resident outings by providing input on potential venues, etc., as needed;
- Responds to management requests for pick up and delivery of documents, materials, bank deports, etc.
- Performs similar and other related duties as required.
- Perform light maintenance duties as instructed.
Equipment to Operate to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Residence Vehicle
- Tire Jack
- Service Fluids (oil, brake fluid, etc.)
- Maintenace/Grounds Equipment
Education/Experience: Requires excellent driving skills and knowledge of servicing an automobile. The ability to communicate in English both orally and in writing is required. A high school diploma or GED is preferred. A minimum of one-year driving experience is required.
Regularly lifts boxes and furniture.
- This position is continuously required to lift 0-50 lbs.
- This position is frequently required to lift 51-100 lbs.
- This position is occasionally requried to lift more than 100 lbs.
Regularly assists in lifting/transferring residents, boxes and furniture.
- This position is continuously required to carry 0-50 lbs.
- This position is frequently required to carry 51-100 lbs.
- This position is rarely required to carry more than 100 lbs.
- This position is continuously required to bend and reach.
- This position is frequently required to kneel, twist, and push/pull.
- This position is occasionally required to squat.
- This position is rarely required to climb or crawl.
Hours Per Day on a Regular Shift
- Sitting: 2-4 hours per day
- Standing: 2-3 hours per day
- Walking: 2-3 hours per day
- Requires normal vision range and hearing ability
- Employee must be capable of driving an automatic transmission van. Employee has slight exposure to dust, chemicals, sudden temperature changes, vibration, and moving mechanical parts, with a moderate exposure to noise.
- Potential exposure to body fluids.