Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under supervision of the nurse manager and tertiary team leader, the clinical procedure technician works to ensure optimal patient flow, provide assistance to registered nurses, advanced practitioners, and physician staff in providing care to pre, post, and peri procedural patients.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Assists physician during procedures by assisting with procedural equipment, maintaining patient safety and gathering all equipment required and needed during a procedure.
- Prepares procedural rooms and readiness of equipment including by not limited to, general floor stock or medical supplies, point of care equipment, procedural room and probe maintenance.
- Uses sterile techniques to set up for the procedure, such as opening up sterile packs and preparing instruments, sterile table and prepping & draping the patient with sterile sheets.
- Prepares patients for procedures and performs vital signs at designated frequency, reporting abnormal results to RN
- Performs EKGs as delegated by RN
- Monitors patient's status during the procedure; reports potential changes to registered nurse or physician.
- Compiles patient’s test results and records in patient record via the EMR and ancillary systems.
- Keeps equipment in working order to ensure safe operation. Applies proper infection control cleaning procedures to equipment and lab.
- Calibrates and troubleshoots all equipment as needed.
- Restocks lab for next day’s procedures, keeping supervisor apprised of needed supplies.
- Assists with recording supply charges for provided services in EPIC and peoplesoft.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned, including transport of patients to and from the assigned clinical area
- Prepares procedural bays and stretchers, cleaning all equipment per LHMC/LMCP policy
- Cross train to function as Unit coordinator with the following responsibilities
- Building and scheduling cases in Epic
- Calling patients to communicate timing of procedures
- Compile various test results and input data into EHR for timely reading
- Maintains customer service by facilitating phone calls to the unit, visitation, patient flow, and general phone call inquiries
- Performs High Level Disinfection
- Disinfect all invasive and noninvasive probes according to manufacturer guidelines
- Maintains integrity of decontamination room ensuring probes are cleaned, labeled, and stored properly
- Maintains decontamination system per manufacturer guidelines by performing regular filter changes etc.
- Maintains par level of HLD equipment for decontamination room
- Maintain annual competency in HLD per hospital guidelines
- Under the direction of the registered nurse, assists in the following:
- Managing bedside emergencies including access site bleeding, lethal arrhythmias, and respiratory compromise
- Discontinuation of peripheral IVs
- Point of care testing
- Performs pre procedure care and prep of planned access sites
- Identify and report any potential abnormalities at the access site
- Records and reports vital signs
- Recognizes lethal arrhythmias and reports to the RN immediately
- Assists in peri-procedural phase under the supervision of the registered nurse to:
- Process specimens per policy as applicable
- Participate in universal protocol
- Directly assist RN and MD/AP during procedures
- Incorporates Lahey Hospital and Medical Centers Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Centers Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital and Medical Center.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
Education: Successful completion of high school or GED.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: .BLS American Heart Association or BLS American Red Cross required
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Experience: Minimum 1 year of relevant clinical experience.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.