Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under general supervision, performs a variety of routine and specialized noninvasive procedures to record vascular information for use in the diagnosis of vascular disease. Prepares patients for the procedure by explaining the procedure, obtaining pertinent clinical history through direct questioning and review of the patient’s prior records and performing a physical examination. Monitors and maintains essential patient care and safety. Follows policies and procedures set by the Section Head of the Vascular Lab. performs. Flexibility to work overtime as needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Assesses the patient by interview, from the patient, family, significant other, and health care providers.
- Completes assessments by utilizing the medical record and /or verbal orders to ensure appropriateness of procedures ordered.
- Makes accurate assessments of the patient’s condition/status thus ensuring appropriateness of procedure ordered. Intervenes appropriately in preventing potential problems/complications.
- Identifies patient/family educational needs based on their learning strengths and/or deficits.
- Patient Care Implementation:
- The technologist implements care for the patient by the following:
- Establish appropriate and effective communication with the patient and/or family member in order to complete the procedure.
- Demonstrates ability to coordinate care with other members of the health care team. Implements departmental and facility’s standard by following established policies and procedures.
- Educates the patient/family so that care can be continued upon completion of procedure.
- Demonstrates an empathetic approach. Is available and accessible to the patient.
- Keeps patient and family members informed of progress and/or delays associated with their procedures.
- Documentation (Management of Information):
- The technologist provides documentation by the following:
- Provides thorough and accurate documentation in the medical record by the following: Vascular procedure performed and managing and communicating information through various processes, which include but are not limited to computers, and telephone/paging system.
- High Risk/Low Frequency/Problem Prone Clinical Skills:
- Ensures that patients are able to ambulate on their own when necessary or, if not, they are given the proper supervision and assistance.
- Monitors the patients continuously when they are having exams that include contrast injections. Utilizes the proper procedure for emergency codes, such as, Code 99 & Code Red.
- Utilizes the proper procedure to page for emergency help within the Radiology Department.
- Reports all safety hazards that could harm patients, visitors, or other hospital employees to appropriate supervisors immediately at all times.
- Initiates applicable “incident reports” by end of shift and reports incomplete and incorrect examinations to ensure the proper patient charge and continuity of patient care.
- Clinical and Technical Skills: Demonstrates the following necessary clinical skills and technical knowledge to provide care and service for the patient’s according to the Department of Vascular Lab’s established policies and procedures:
- Properly operates Ultrasound/Non Imaging Vascular and /or accessory equipment while accurately scanning patient as established by departmental policies and procedures.
- Properly practices aseptic and sterile techniques as established by departmental and hospital’s policies. Evaluates vascular documentation for diagnostic quality and repeats as needed or directed.
- Accurately prepares room & patient for procedure, assuring all needed equipment is available, prior to the start of the exam.
- Upon completion of procedure properly cleans and organizes room and performs any necessary cleaning of equipment as established by departmental policies, procedures and standards.
- Properly identifies oneself and properly identifies patient prior to the start of a procedure as established by department’s policies and procedures providing written documentation when required.
- Accurately assists in the clinical training of Radiological students. Properly follows established policies and procedures of reporting and documenting equipment problems.
- Notifies appropriate supervisory personnel of shortages of supplies, unusual problems or situations within the department, messages from other departments or Vascular Lab staff, and/or any changes in patient scheduling.
- In the absence of supervisory personnel assumes supervisory responsibilities as required. Readily and willingly contributes to the team approach, in order to provide the best possible patient care and services.
- Provides all on-call services as established by departmental policies and procedures. Proactively and accurately performs additional job functions at designated secondary sites.
- Proactively and willingly works at secondary site as needed or instructed.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Must successfully achieve and maintain RVT or RVS certification within 12 months of employment.
- This position requires moving about on foot throughout the department and hospital and from station to station. Position also requires using upper extremities position and utilize equipment in the performance of patient scans. Position also requires manual dexterity in order to perform manipulative skills such as turning dials and pushing buttons.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High School Diploma. Completion of hospital based clinical training program or graduate from an accredited RDMS or RVT program.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Must have Basic Life Support (BLS) certification. RDMS, RVT or RVS eligible.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Good interpersonal and computer skills.
Experience: One year of related experience.
32 hours, Day shift
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.