Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by greeting, screening and helping patients, families, visitors, vendors and staff. This critical customer service position may be the first and last impression of the organization for all visitors in the hospital and can have a dramatic impact on making individuals feel welcome and ease their anxiety by answering their questions and directing them accordingly strongly influencing their overall perception of care by the hospital
Education Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
Experience Required: Prior customer service and/or experience in a health care setting
As part of the Winchester Hospital team, this position:
- Administers required health questionnaires to patients, employees, visitors, vendors, contractors utilizing a provided screening tool., properly badging each person.
- Passes along any necessary information received from the answers of the screening tool to the receiving department. (moved to another section above)Greets patients and others timely and in a professional manner that is kind, respectful and empathetic.
- Provides assistance with the entry/exit doors.
- Manages patient flow for Registration and responsible for :
- Instructing patients waiting to register.
- Signing patients in on the outpatient registration log, as needed
- Keeping track of the order of patients needing to register and for what service.
- Offering support to registration and screening staff.
- Manages/Maintains flow of patients into the Emergency Room
- Directs individuals to their desired location.
- May look up information such as patient appointment times and locations, meeting/class events and patients rooms.
- Reviews the computer system to assess the information.
- Takes other measures to ensure individuals are directed as needed, including calling areas to determine the proper location.
- When needed, escorts individuals. Informs screener, security and/or registration when leaving the desk.
- Answers common, non-clinical/complex questions and escalates questions as appropriate. Provides general information regarding the Hospital, our services and other information to improve the total patient care experience.
- Provides verbal as well as written directions throughout the facility and our off-site locations..\Offers wheelchair when appropriate. Retrieves wheelchair and assists individual into the chair safely. Pushes patient in wheelchair as necessary to desired location. Requests wheelchairs to keep a supply available for those entering the hospital.
- Accepts Flower, Gift and Food deliveries for patients and staff. Requests transport as needed. Disinfect the West Entrance area including desks, chairs, wheelchairs, tables, door handles regularly, each shift and as needed.
- Follows protocols and policies in place at any given time for ALL entering the building, such as hand sanitizing, masking, and social distancing, etc.
- Represents the hospital professionally by being neat and pleasant at all times.
- Accepts patient belongings including bagging, labeling and recording of belongings.. Communicates with the patient care units land other departments/individuals, letting them know arrival status. Requests transport as needed.
- Communicates to appropriate department/individuals about patient’s/visitor’s arrival when appropriate.
- Acts as a liaison between departments/patient care units and visitors. Provides patient families/friends with appropriate contact information for the patient’s location. Assists in coordination of visitation.
- Listens and responds appropriately to family/friends of those patients who are end of life with a calming empathetic manner.
- Explain and enforce hospital policies for patients, patient’s families & visitors, specifically
- Assists in calling cabs, family or friends to secure a ride home from the hospital.
- Provides non-clinical comfort and service recovery measures to patients, family members and/or visitors. Escalates significant issues to supervisor.
- Organizes and updates any messages, notices or announcements at the desk.
- Enters non patient tasks in EPIC to request transport for delivery.
- Reimburses individuals for vending machine errors, reconciles cash, and alerts necessary persons of any issues/problems.
- Provides a friendly greeting when individuals enter and leave the hospital, and offers well wishes at departure.
- Oversees & trains screener staff, including orienting them to the hospital.
- As the workflow and the work area allows, may perform other clerical duties such sorting, collating materials, stuffing envelopes and attaching labels for mailings.
- Maintains a neat and orderly presentation of the Greeter desk and West Entrance area. Reports any facility and safety issues to the Service Response Center.
Hours: 15 hours weekly; Part-Time;
Days Worked: Every Wednesday and every Other Saturday/Sunday; 7:00am-3:00pm
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.