Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by welcoming and registering patients in an efficient and empathetic manner. This administrative/customer service staff position may be the first face of the organization when a patient visits and can have a dramatic impact on making individuals feel welcomed and ease their anxiety by starting their hospital visit professionally. In addition this position impacts patient safety and clinical care by ensuring the patient identifiers are correct and on reimbursement by collecting accurate insurance information and co-pays.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Some clerical experience or experience in a healthcare setting.
- 1 year of completed college may be considered in lieu of relevant experience.
- 1 year of admitting or billing
Other Skills/Knowledge Required:
- For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
- Strong customer service/relations skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS
Schedule Requirements: Schedule and hours may vary based on department needs
Travel Requirements: May be asked to work at various locations.
- In Central Registration reports to Central Registration Supervisor
- In Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab reports to the Program Coordinator
- Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
Consistent with the PROMISE principles and inherent in a hospital environment, employees must be flexible in meeting patients’ and the Hospital’s needs. While the list below describes the primary functions of this job, all employees at Winchester Hospital need to recognize that an essential element of their job is the ability to respond to unanticipated and/or changing situations. This may result in assuming responsibilities or tasks, which are not on this list.
As part of the Winchester Registration team, this position:
- Greets patients and others timely and in a manner that is respectful and empathetic. Answers the phone in the same manner.
- Interviews patients or designees to accurately and comprehensively collect patient demographic and insurance information and enters into the hospital’s informational system. For existing patients, verifies patient identifier to ensure the correct medial record is retrieved.
- Researches patient insurance plan using Web software and verifies insurance eligibility
- Collects co-payments when appropriate and required.
- Answers common, non-clinical/complex questions and escalates questions as appropriate. Provides general information regarding the Hospital.
- Prints admissions/registration paperwork and obtains patient’s or designee’s signature.
- Enters official discharge into the system.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Distributes registration paperwork, based on department/location procedures.
- Places ID bands on patients per procedure.
- Explains Health Care Proxy information, answering questions and assisting patients in completing the forms if necessary.
- At the direction of the Patient Placement Supervisor or the Clinical Supervisor, assigns patients to open beds. Acts as a liaison between the floors and the assigning supervisor when there is difficulty in assigning the patient to the intended floor.
- Audits death certificates. Collaborates with the patient floor and/or physician to correct information. Copies and logs certificate information. Provides original certificates to Funeral Home and copies to HIM.
Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab
- Mails admissions paperwork to patients’ homes in preparation for appointments. Assists patients in completing the forms if necessary.
- Obtains medical records and prepares new patient packets. Calls and schedules intake visit and registers new patients.
- Orders office supplies and manages incoming faxes.
- Responsible for billing patient visits.
Per Diem, as needed by the department
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.