Location: Burlington, MA
Job ID: 174678-1A
Date Posted: May 27, 2022
Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Job Summary: Provides administrative support for the department. Involves extensive interaction with diverse populations including the public, visitors, patients and families, and providers.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of this position.
1. Answers and screens telephone calls. Takes accurate messages or directs call to appropriate person. Greets and directs patients/families, visitors and staff. Responds to requests in a timely manner and provides clear and accurate information within scope of knowledge and authority.
2. Types and prepares correspondence and documents according to quality standards. Proofreads and edits materials for grammar, punctuation and spelling. Drafts routine correspondence. Compiles and distributes reports and other information as needed.
3. Schedules appointments and meetings and maintains calendars and schedules for assigned staff. Assists in preparation for conferences, seminars and other department sponsored programs or events. Receives, records and prepares related materials and performs other related duties as assigned.
4. Provides positive and effective customer service that supports the operations of the department and medical center.
5. Prepares, routes and tracks routine administrative forms and documents. Routes materials for required authorizations and monitors receipt by final destination. Communicates with other hospital departments to resolve delays, problems and errors.
6. Performs routine clerical duties, such as opening and sorting mail, delivering and retrieving records and materials, photocopying, sorting, collating and distributing documents.
7. Organizes and maintains department files, records and databases following established procedures. Enters information from source documents into databases and/or spreadsheets.
8. May also update patient demographic and insurance information as necessary and obtains specialist referrals for all patient appointments. Schedules patient appointments utilizing scheduling tools and resources. Coordinates and communicates ancillary appointments and procedures working with other hospital staff as needed.
9. Obtains patient information and materials as needed from referral sources. Prepares patient records for clinical activities and maintains patient records for physicians. Acts as liaison with other departments and external customers in a calm and supportive manner. Handles confidential information appropriately and explains policies and procedures when necessary.
10. Actively assists and supports licensed practitioners by queuing prescriptions for renewal.
1. High School diploma or GED required. .
2. 0-1 years related work experience required.
3. Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
1. Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
2. Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
3. Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
4. Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
5. Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
6. Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
7. Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
8. Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Work requires close attention to task for work to be accurately completed. Intermittent breaks during the work day do not compromise the work.
Work routine is fairly consistent, but employee needs to be able to use judgment to respond to events several times a week.
No substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions
Health Care Status: Facilitates patient care
Close work (paperwork, visual examination), Monitor Use, Visual monotony, Visual clarity <3 feet, Conversation, Telephone.
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time. Walking and standing is required only occasionally
This job requires constant sitting, Keyboard use, Endurance-working up to 3-4 hours without a break, frequent Power Grasping using one hand. There may be occasional Fine Manipulation using one hand
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.