Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under supervision of a Registered Nurse, performs basic patient care activities in providing for the personal needs, comfort and safety of patients.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Cares for patients as delegated by the registered nurse and completes all aspects of activities of daily living for assigned patients (refer to Delegation Competency for Unlicensed Assistive Personnel).
- Vital Signs: May take and record the following:
- Reports all unusual observations or reactions of the patient to the nurse assigned to the patient or charge nurse.
- oxygen saturation
- height and weight
- vital signs
- Intake and Output: Collects various specimens for analysis and measures and records intake and output.
3. Activities of Daily Living: Provides patients with personal care and assist with activities of daily living.
- Clinical Procedures: Performs basic clinical procedures independently or under direct supervision of a nurse.
- Follows department procedures related to access to non-controlled medications, such as IV solutions and vaccines, when granted access to these medications as part of the job functions.
- Nutrition: Provides for patient’s nutritional needs including: assisting the patient with ordering room service, set up of meal tray, and feeds the patient as required.
- Safety: Supports a culture of safety and carries out safety interventions for all patients.
- Infection Control: Adheres to all applicable infection control policies and procedures.
- Sitter: Assist as patient safety attendant after completion of required competency.
- Orientation: Assists with orientation of new Nursing Assistant colleagues.
- Performs additional unit based activities as assigned.
B. Organizational Requirements:
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Requires a high school diploma or equivalent
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None required
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Basic ability to read, write and perform basic four-function math.
Ability to obtain knowledge of medical terminology, basic personal computer skills, and interpersonal skills.
Rotating weekends and holidays