Welcome to Beverly Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Beverly Hospital is a full service, community hospital providing leading-edge, patient-centered care to North Shore and Cape Ann residents. The hospital provides a full-range of state-of-the-art care and services including primary care, cardiovascular care, surgery, orthopedics, emergency care, maternity, pediatrics, as well as many other specialties. Beverly Hospital is nationally recognized for patient safety as it is one of only 42 hospitals in the United States to be awarded an “A” grade from The Leapfrog Group – the nation’s leading nonprofit watchdog on hospital quality and safety.
Beverly Hospital promotes the culture and philosophy which enables employees to give and receive the best of care. You can become a part of the team that achieves this success through our CREATE values of Community, Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Teamwork and Empathy.
About the Job
Assumes responsibility for providing skilled, creative, high quality nursing care to patients by assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating patient care on a 24 hour basis from admission to discharge. Collaborates with other nursing staff and other allied disciplines to ensure that a safe and therapeutic environment is maintained for all patients. Is accountable for directing and supervising the care provided by the Mental Health Counselors. Assumes responsibility for utilizing financial, human and material resources in an efficient manner.
Essential Functions/Key Responsibilities:
1. Is expected to support the hospital in such a manner that there is a strong and positive commitment to quality patient care.
2. Serve as a preceptor for new employees and educate staff, as needed.
3. Utilize supervision in a positive and thoughtful manner to enhance professional improvement and development.
4. Attend clinical meetings that will have a positive impact on patient care.
5. Maintain solid understanding of hospital policies and protocols, practices within those policies and protocols, and enforces such when appropriate.
6. Participate in any ongoing quality improvement studies that will have positive patient care outcomes.
7. Maintain understanding of and follow regulatory agencies’ expectations and guidelines (i.e. DMH, DPH, JCAHO, payors, etc.).
8. Assess, plan and implement care on all observed symptoms, reactions, treatments, and changes in the patient’s status. Report and record any findings to the MD and charge nurse.
9. Perform the role of medical nurse when assigned, assist the consulting internist and Nurse Practitioner with exams and perform treatments, tests and procedures as ordered.
10. Monitor the patient milieu for safety issues and assist with promoting a positive therapeutic environment.
11. Respond to patient care needs and issues, assist patients with personal hygiene and other activities of daily living. Collaborate with and direct other nursing staff to assist with any patient nursing needs.
12. Admit, discharge and transfer patients to and from department/unit ensuring that patient safety is addressed and monitor patient valuables during belongings search.
13. Participate in treatment team meetings and develop plans of care.
14. Administer medications to assigned patients and monitor effectiveness.
15. Maintain yearly/biyearly requirements of CPR and Aggression Management.
16. Perform other duties as assigned.
Per Diem, hours assigned as needed
Qualifications and Education
- General educational requirements
- Specific vocational or professional training
- Credential and licensure requirements
- Specialized or technical skills required, including computer applications proficiency (e.g. Basic Excel, Intermediate Word, and knowledge of electronic medical records)
- Other skills, knowledge, and abilities required to do the job
- Amount of directly related experience required
- Bachelor’s in nursing preferred from an accredited school of nursing with current professional license registration (RN license) in Massachusetts. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities with adaptive abilities and strong interpersonal relations skills. Possess
management skills and the ability to effectively supervise employees. Ability to use sound administrative practices. Work cooperatively and effectively with others and ability to adapt to changes in the workplace.
- Must be fluent in English (verbal and written).
- Exhibits ability to be competent in the following areas:
1. Psychotropic medication administration and monitoring
2. Drug and alcohol withdrawal
3. De-escalation/Restraint Management