Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- High School diploma required.
- At least one year of previous work experience in an administrative support role.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology is preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Provides the administrative support for the unit and staff so the patient care team can concentrate on providing superior patient care.
- Answers the phone for the unit, answering questions, directing calls to other team members and /or taking messages and expediently passing on information.
- Greets patients, visitors, volunteers, clergy and interdisciplinary staff members. Answers questions, signs forms and/or directs the individual or question as appropriate to ensure efficient unit flow and patient/family member satisfaction.
- Processes physician and other orders utilizing the electronic medical record and manual orders. Monitors orders throughout shift and notifies nursing staff promptly of stat and other pertinent issues. Questions unclear orders and seeks clarification from the nursing and medical staff.
- Receives admittance information. Communicates expediently to the nursing staff to start the patient placement process and ensures the room is available for the patient. Assembles a medical chart for the patient.
- Maintains accurate and complete medical charts for the patients, including the forms necessary for daily use. Copies and faxes paperwork as necessary to expedite the patient care process among the hospital departments and outside sources if appropriate.
- Pages and contacts physicians for consults. Schedules tests and other diagnostic services with other hospital departments and off-site providers. Arranges ambulances and transport services. Follows through on orders for medical equipment and other non-medication needs.
- Prepares the patient record for discharge. Reviews the medical record and advises the nursing staff if forms are needed prior to discharge. Disassembles medical chart according to Health Information Management Department standards.
- Prioritizes functions based on emergency situations.
- Completes administrative/secretarial tasks in support of the nurse manager and the department, which may include but is not limited to data entry, simple letter typing, simple spreadsheet creation, other typing needs, minute taking, and sorting and triaging mail.
- Files. Ensures the unit has an adequate supply of various required forms.
- Maintaining an adequate inventory of non-medical supplies for the unit. Oversees the office equipment and addresses equipment problems timely to maximize the unit’s efficiency.
Hours: 36/ Fulltime
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.