Location: Burlington, MA
Job ID: 173691-1A
Date Posted: Jun 16, 2022
Category: Clinical Professional
Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under the direction of the Clinical Nutrition Manager, the Inpatient Clinical Dietitian assesses the nutritional status and plans nutrition interventions for patients. Develops and promotes collaborative practice and collegial relationships with physicians and other disciplines as a member of the multidisciplinary healthcare team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Adheres to Nutrition Screening, Assessment, and Follow-up –Inpatient Policy
2. Using the Nutrition Care Process (NCP), completes a comprehensive assessment based on food and nutrition-
related history, biochemical data, medical tests and procedures, anthropometric measurements, nutrition focused
physical exam, and patient history.
3. Orders (if privileged) or recommends laboratory tests needed to complete assessment
4. Calculates metabolic needs for energy, protein, fluid, electrolytes, and other nutrients
5. Selects appropriate nutrition diagnosis (es)
6. Initiates nutrition intervention that is directed at the root cause of the nutrition problem and aimed at alleviating the
signs and symptoms of the diagnosis.
7. Monitors and evaluates response to intervention, ordering (if privileged) or requesting lab tests needed, to
determine if goals are achieved or progress made toward goals.
8. Documents assessment and plan of care using Standardized Terminology and consult format in electronic
9. Communicates with care team in development, implementation, and evaluation of nutrition interventions.
10. Provides nutrition education considering cultural, religious and ethnic beliefs. Individualizes patient education
based on age and health literacy. Documents response to teaching by patient and/or family.
11. Counsels patients on potential food/drug interactions.
12. Collaborates with food service colleagues in the provision of meals and supplements
13. Coordinates care with case managers and home care companies for discharge planning.
14. Maintains productivity log.
15. Precepts dietetic interns
16. Participate in marketing and community outreach initiatives.
17. Participates in quality and safety initiatives
Maintain strict adherence to the Lahey Health Confidentiality policy. Incorporate Lahey Health Standards of Behavior and Guiding Principles into daily activities. Comply with all Lahey Health Policies. Comply with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Health. Maintain courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients. Demonstrate an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment. Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards. Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
Participate in and successfully completes Mandatory Education. Perform all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: BS in Food and Nutrition or related field
Licensure, Certification & Registration: Registered Dietitian with the Commission on Dietetic Registration. Licensed by the Massachusetts Division of Professional Licensure, Board of Registration of Dietitians and Nutritionists within six months of hire date.
Experience: Prior nutrition related experience in a clinical setting preferred
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Good written and oral skills Effective time management skills Good computer skills, including The Google Platform Effective networking relationships Leadership and mentoring skills
1 Weekend Day
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.