Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by providing support to the Health Information Management Department and by providing release of information and Birth Registry services. This position will have an impact on patients and other health information management customers by providing accurate and complete records in a timely manner and making every encounter with our patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers the best that it can be.
Required: High School Diploma required
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of release of information according to federal and state guidelines, regulations and statutes concerning confidentiality and release of information.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- At least two years medical records experience.
- Familiarity with use of microfilm/fiche machine
- At least two years medical record experience
- Knowledge of state guidelines related to Birth Certificates
- Notary Public
- For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Business operation hours.
- Major holidays not required.
- Weekend coverage rotation required for Birth Registry.
Travel Requirements: Minimal and local travel may be required
- Reports to the Director of Health Information Management and Privacy Officer.
- Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
Consistent with the PROMISE principles and inherent in a hospital environment, employees must be flexible in meeting patients’ and the Hospital’s needs. While the list below describes the primary functions of this job, all employees at Winchester Hospital need to recognize that an essential element of their job is the ability to respond to unanticipated and/or changing situations. This may result in assuming responsibilities or tasks, which are not on this list.
As part of the Health Information Management team (HIM), the Release of Information position:
- Analyzes requests and authorizations for release of health information from attorneys, insurance companies, patients, etc. Verifies patient information for accuracy and completeness. Inputs requests into the Correspondence Management System.
- Organized workload to comply with deadlines and priorities.
- Abstracts accurate information from the medical record according to the type of request. Gathers information as necessary in order to complete the request. Obtains hospital certification of copies of the record if required.
- Reviews subpoenas for validity prior to acceptance. Obtains patient authorization as legally appropriate. Following review by manager, responses to subpoenas by return date.
- Responds to walk-in visitors for medical information as stated in the hospital policy.
- Coordinates schedules and prepares medical records for outside contract copying service to maintain timeliness of response to correspondence requests.
- Handles telephone requests for release of information according to department policy and procedure. Acts as receptionist for the department.
- Pulls medical records for contract copying services.
- Provides duplication of microfiche/microfilmed medical records when necessary.
- Processes all incoming and outgoing mail. Retrieves incoming mail from the Mailroom at the hospital, sends to appropriate sections of department. Opens, prioritizes and distributes all incoming mail for release of information.
- Retrieves, copies, and coordinates delivery of medical records for various audits, Permidion (Medicaid), RAC (Medicare).
- Maintains release of information record pull area (McKay site) in a neat and organized manner.
Administrative Support for the Department:
- Orders and maintains supplies for department on a weekly basis.
- Types support data (phone lists, lab test work sheets) for HIM. Organizes workload to comply with deadlines and priorities established by supervisors.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Birth Registrar
- Generates birth certificates and obtains required signatures.
- Submits the Birth Certificate electronically to the Town of Winchester and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics.
- Faxes required paperwork to the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics.
- Collaborates with the Town Clerk office at Winchester Town Hall regarding any discrepancies on the Birth Certificate.
- Submits correction letter of the Birth Certificates to the Town of Winchester upon request.
- Collaborates with parent(s) and staff on the mother baby unit to ensure accurate and complete paperwork.
- Reviews the mother and baby’s medical records to obtain required data for birth certificate completion, including Meditech and CPN.
- Inputs birth certificate parent and hospital worksheet data into the computerized birth registry database, Vitals Information Partnership (VIP).
- Maintains worksheets and reports for designated time frame.
- Reviews, and corrects any inaccuracies in the VIP database.
- Acts as the liaison between the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics and Winchester Hospital regarding important. Communications related to the Birth Certificate process.
- Reviews and corrects the data quality reports provided by the VIP database system.
- Responds to request from parent(s) related to birth certificates and Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records.
- Keeps abreast of the legal requirements in accordance with the MA State Law related to parentage pertaining to completion of the Birth Certificate.
- Notarizes required documents related to parentage.
- Updates the babies name in Meditech to reflect the name on the Birth Certificate.
- Attends meetings sponsored by the Department of Public Health related to Birth Certificates.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.