Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Provides security and protection for patients, visitors, and colleagues, as well as buildings and grounds. May be called upon to provide assistance in many different circumstances, settings and weather.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Monitoring and Reporting - Patrols assigned areas on foot or in vehicle; checks for unsafe conditions, hazards, unlocked doors, security violations, blocked ingress and egress, and unauthorized persons. Conducts periodic inspections of all areas at designated times to ascertain their conditions of security and safety. Perform monthly preventative maintenance and required equipment checks, i.e.: elevator phones, outside emergency phones, vehicle equipment, door alarms and panel, building alarms, fire alarm panel, all doors and locks and radio equipment. Prepares logs or reports as required for post, writes or types reports entering information in a computer.
- Enforcement - Directs vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Issues parking citations for colleagues parked in unauthorized lots. Patrols designated areas and all parking areas. Checks for and issues proper identification of colleagues, and enforcing the wearing of ID badges. Issues temporary badges to Visitors and Vendors. Checks suspicious packages as directed.
- Emergency Response - Responds to all Codes and alarms in accordance with the Safety Manual and the Emergency Management Policy. Coordinates with local Police, Fire, and Emergency personnel as directed. Responds to alarms initiated by fire crash bars on exterior doors. Responds to elevator entrapments. Respond to and investigate reported thefts, disturbances and incidents. Responds to medical emergency call such as slips or falls in the facility or on the grounds, provide an emergency stretcher as needed, and assists with transport within building, awaiting ambulance as the case warrants.
- Patient Observation - Performs patient watch or observation as directed. Responds appropriately to a variety of human service issues, including domestic abuse, substance abuse, forensic patients, psychiatric cases, and anxious/upset visitors. Maintain composure and professional demeanor in an occasionally chaotic environment. Practices universal precautions. Restrains patients as necessary utilizing de-escalation techniques.
- Fire Prevention - Identifies and reports fire safety hazards. Keep fire exits, fire doors, corridor access and extinguishing equipment clear. Immediately notify appropriate personnel when equipment may be out of order and in need of repair or replacement.
- Colleague and Patient Assistance - Provides assistance to patients, visitors, and colleagues with vehicle problems, such as jump starts, lock outs, shoveling, contacting AAA etc. Using a Lahey Clinic vehicle, transports patients and colleagues between buildings and designated parking lots.
- Courier - Responsible for multiple daily bank and pharmacy details. Delivers payroll to various buildings. Delivers large deposits from Dietary, Cashiers, Wall Street and others to area banks. Delivers or accompanies daily cash trays from Dietary, Gift Shop and Credit Union checks. Retrieves and delivers pharmacy items, such as vaccines, alcohol, and narcotics. Retrieves and delivers stat charts, specimens, x-rays and other equipment from Lab, Radiology, Health Information Management (H.I.M.) to off site facilities.
Education: High School Graduate or equivalent. Graduate of or enrollee in a criminal justice program preferred
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Current valid driver’s license required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Observant, paying close attention to detail; Ability to remain calm in difficult situations; Adaptable to sometimes rapidly changing situations; Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively across diverse cultures and at various social and educational levels. Basic computer and data entry skills. In the absence of a particular skill, colleague must have the ability to be trained to a level of proficiency.
Experience: Minimum 1 year of Security, Military or comparable experience.
Full-Time 40 Hours Nights
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.