Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under the supervision of the Director of Radiation Therapy Physics, will work with the physics, medical and technical staffs in the precise calibration of equipment and the planning and execution of treatments. Will assist in the technical aspects of implementing new clinical programs. Will be involved with the routine and custom planning of treatment courses.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Performs physics related responsibilities in the IORT, HDR and LDR brachytherapy programs.
- Performs physics related responsibilities in the SRS and SBRT treatment programs, including professional supervision of the treatment procedures.
- Performs treatment plans and patient calculations using data tables or a dedicated treatment planning computer to provide customized treatment plans and proper machine parameters for the delivery of the plans.
- Performs the duties of the dosimetrist in his/her absence or as needed to meet patient needs.
- Provides technical assistance in the development of treatment plans for patients undergoing radiation therapy; monitor patients; maintain established policies, procedures, objectives, quality measurement, and safety; perform clinical research.
- Performs second checks of calculations completed by other physics staff members using department specific machine data to confirm treatment parameters.
- Documents all measurements, planning and calculation parameters in the written and electronic charts.
- Properly enters all charges for services rendered.
- Performs routine quality assurance checks and calibrations of the therapy equipment in accordance with the physics division procedures and applicable regulations and national standards.
- Performs or assists service engineers with routine and minor maintenance of therapy equipment, as needed, in accordance with the manufacturer’s stated policies and procedures and documents same.
- Performs weekly chart reviews of patients under treatment following department procedures.
- Assists in equipment evaluation, acceptance, commissioning and implementation of new programs.
- Collaborates with physicians and technologists on clinical applications of equipment.
- Assists radiation oncologist where appropriate with brachytherapy and stereotactic treatment courses.
- Provides education and training of medical physics for physicians, nurses, technologists and other personnel as needed on a regular and interval basis.
- Provides instruction to professional staff and radiation therapists in treatment planning.
- Consults with physicians and treatment planning staff on tissue tolerances and dosing guidelines consistent with national guidance documents.
- Organizes quality control practices and designs radiation installations (including shielding calculations).
- Consults with department staff regarding oncology EMR procedures and standards, and defines appropriate safety related standard operating procedures for oncology EMR use.
- Maintains working knowledge of applicable laws and regulations as they relate to assigned responsibilities.
- Attends department chart rounds, physics division meetings, and general department meetings.
- Incorporates Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital and Medical Center.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Masters degree in Medical Physics or a related field and completion of a clinical residency program or equivalent.
Licensure, Certification & Registration:
Board certified by the American Board of Radiology or the American Board of Medical Physics in radiation oncology physics or board eligible and working towards certification. Certification is expected within three years of employment. Member of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine and/or the American College of Medical Physics.
One year FTE clinical experience, minimum required. Experience received during training may be used to help satisfy this requirement.
40 Hours / Day
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.