Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by supporting the efforts of the food service / dietary teams’ efforts to produce and distribute quality food to our patients and the communities we serve. This position will have an impact on patient, employee and visitor satisfaction by providing superior customer service in a clean safe environment and by providing guidance to the Food Service Associate (FSA) I’s in the absence of the supervisor.
- At least 6 months of work experience.
- High School Diploma or GED. 2 years of food service, materials management or cashiering experience may be considered in lieu of the High School Diploma or GED.
- Prior Food Service experience with food preparation and assembly
- Customer service experience.
- Cash handling experience.
- For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
- Basic math skills.
- Capability of managing multiple job functions.
- Knowledge of food safety (HACCP) standards.
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Schedule requirements: Weekend and Holiday rotation is required. Schedule may vary based on department needs.
Travel requirements: May be assigned to any of the food service locations.
Consistent with the PROMISE principles and inherent in a hospital environment, employees must be flexible in meeting patients’ and the Hospital’s needs. While the list below describes the primary functions of this job, all employees at Winchester Hospital need to recognize that an essential
element of their job is the ability to respond to unanticipated and/or changing situations. This may result in assuming responsibilities or tasks which are not on this list.
As part of the Guest Services/Food Services team, with limited supervision, this position:
- Prepares and assembles patient trays and requests for patients and/or customers.
- Assembles attractive daily menu items, accommodating diet restrictions, allergies, and ethnic preferences as noted by the dietary order.
- Assembles menu items from recipes and standards
- Accommodates customer requests within nutrition guidelines.
- Anticipates the needs of the customers and operations
- Follows specified dating procedure for menu items and discards food items after three days or as labeled. Labels and dates opened foods.
- Tracks and tallies inventory. Advises supervisor of inventory counts and as requested orders food and supplies for area. Receives and dates shipments for storage.
- Maintains retail food and beverage stations according to department standards.
- Maintains a clean work area and fulfills daily cleaning assignments to ensure compliance with high sanitation standards. Handles removal of all trash for Cafe, kitchen or other areas.
- Cleans and sanitizes dishware, pots and pans.
- Completes and documents daily HACCP checks, ensuring food preparation and storage comply with food safety standards. Maintains temperature control logs.
- Prepare food from basic recipes and provides assistance as requested by the cooks and bakers.
- May serve food in cafeteria
- Delivers trays to patient rooms/areas as needed.
- Assembles Meals on Wheels
- Completes extensive cleaning and disinfecting assignments based on routine schedules to ensure compliance with all state, health and industry standard. Documents process.
- In the absence of the supervisor, provides guidance and direction to the FSA I’s
- Oversees shift operations, assigning functions to FSA Is to optimize efficiency and safety.
- At the direction of the supervisor, works to implement procedural changes and performance improvement initiatives by educating the FSA I’s.
- Demonstrates operational expertise in the assigned area and fosters a commitment to superior customer service and safety
- Troubleshoots food service line and basic food preparation issues and customer service calls and requests. Follows the proper chain of command to resolve concerns, addressing the short term issue and letting the supervisor know if further action is required.
- Provides performance feedback on staff directly to the staff member thus fostering a culture of continuous learning and improvement and to the manager/supervisor as appropriate. Addresses safety concerns promptly. May be asked to give input into performance evaluation process.
- Precepts and mentors FSAs and other Cashiers so to expand their knowledge and competence in hospital operations and processes.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS:
- May perform cashier functions
- Verifies cash and secures cash drawer at the register.
- Rings customer transactions
- Counts cash at the end of shift and verifies cash bank.
Complies with department standards for cash handling procedures
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.