Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under general supervision of the Administrative Director and the Department Chair, in collaboration with physicians and other care providers, provides administrative support to one or more individuals in a clinical environment and supervises department administrative support staff. Also serves as the primary point of contact for the Department Chair and Administrative Director, and assists with the coordination of certain departmental activities as directed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Administrative Supervision
- Provides functional guidance to other administrative staff, including oversight for day-to-day activity, and acting as a resource to staff as needed.
- Coordinates and monitors staffing assignments, levels, and scheduling of administrative staff to ensure efficient operation and appropriate coverage.
- Participates in and significantly contributes to the HR function for the department(s), including recruitment and hiring, orientation of new staff, employee relations, training needs assessment and fulfillment, performance appraisal, competence assessment, mandatory education, and other organizational requirements as appropriate.
- Reviews requests for time away, and approves or denies as appropriate, ensuring adequate coverage for the efficient operation of the department(s).
- Coordinates and facilitates regular administrative staff meetings; ensures that agenda and minutes are complete and forwarded to the Division Chair and/or Administrative Director as appropriate.
- Monitors and ensures that administrative staff and support areas are operating within budget constraints.
- Administrative Functions Supporting the Department Chair:
- Functions as the primary point of contact with the Department Chair for other departments and external constituencies.
- Maintains and adjusts the internal and external professional schedule(s) of the Department Chair. Alerts the Department Chair to changes in schedule, and plans ahead for contingencies.
- Accompanies and provides administrative support to the Department Chair at a variety of internal and external meetings.
- Directly supervise the day-to-day operation of the Department’s administrative support staff.
- Works closely with the clinical staff in the coordination of the administrative aspects of the department.
- Contributes to the Performance Appraisal process by assessing the performance of administrative support staff.
- Makes recommendations for hiring, firing, and required developmental and corrective action for administrative support staff.
- Coordinates department wide meetings as required, including securing meeting space, notifying attendees, arranging for audio-visual resources, and tracking attendance.
- Responds to questions in accordance with department guidelines, exercising independent judgment within the scope of the job.
- In accordance with organizational guidelines, prepares and processes purchase orders, invoices, travel reimbursements, petty cash slips, invoices and the like. Acts as a resource to others in the department for the same, providing instruction in proper completion and submission of required documents.
- Assists in defining the operational plan and budget perimeters to ensure department budget is met.
- Supports special events development.
- Established and maintains efficient and effective office systems.
- General Medical Office Functions:
- Maintains and distributes physician(s) calendar on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Incorporates clinic and O.R. schedules as appropriate.
- Processes and monitors physician time away and ensures that the information is captured in all required systems.
- Answers and screens a high volume of telephone calls. Prioritizes and follows through on all calls to the point of resolution. Responds to routine questions and takes messages in accordance with physician's instructions.
- Accurately and efficiently facilitates patient prescription handling including new, refills, e-scripts, faxes, and preauthorization procedures as directed by the physician or other care provider.
- Utilizes Lahey Clinic electronic systems in order to obtain chart notes, accesses the electronic patient medical record in order to view and/or print notes as appropriate. Mails paper copies and attachments to patients as needed.
- Uses electronic systems to enter physician orders and retrieve test results.
- Processes requests for patient charts as requested by medical staff and/or referring physicians.
- Completes and processes forms required for insurance approval for scheduled procedures, office visits, or tests.
- Accurately transcribes and/or word processes a variety of documents including correspondence, memos, and department/staff meeting minutes. Proofreads all documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Works with physician and/or other care provider to facilitate “work in” appointments for patients. Provides instructions for preparation to the patient.
- Schedules patients for tests and consultations as directed by the physician or other care provider. Relays information to patients regarding requirements for test preparation, as needed.
- Where appropriate, uses clinic-wide scheduling system for updating personal and insurance information to ensure timely and accurate billing.
- Processes any physician or other care provider bump lists ensuring all patients are provided and notified of the new appointment.
- Clerical Functions:
- Maintains physician correspondence, reports, Continuing Medical Education (CME) and statistics.
- Makes physician travel arrangements as needed.
- Maintains physician curriculum vitae and bibliography. Produces reprints of articles when requested.
- Screens and sorts mail and documents; responds to routine items not requiring supervisor's attention according to instructions and standard procedures.
- Operates office equipment including (but not limited to) a personal computer, Internet, voice mail, e-mail, paging systems, copy machine, transcription equipment and fax.
- Organizational Requirements:
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality Policy.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Work requires a level of knowledge normally acquired through the completion of an Associates degree or specialized training in administrative and/or office services.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Not required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Working knowledge PCs, including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, databases, electronic scheduling software, e-mail, and accessing information on the Internet.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; able to compose and/or edit memoranda on behalf of the Chair.
- Ability to work with and hold as confidential highly sensitive information including personnel, budget, disciplinary action, and strategic information relating to all staff.
- Effective Supervisory skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to use independent thinking to solve problems and anticipate needs.
- Ability to effectively interface with all high level individuals and to represent the Chair and the department(s) in a highly professioinal manner.
- Ability to work indepently and to achieve results as part of a team.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to set priorities, manage multiple projects and meet project deadlines.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years administrative support to one or more executives in a comparable healthcare setting. Prior supervisory experience also required.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.