Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Responsible for representing Winchester Hospital, Satellite facilities, and The Physicians Answering Service customers to the public, patients, and internally in a busy environment processing approximately 90,000 calls per month.
- Exemplifies Winchester Hospital’s values and Service Excellence standards. Commits to making every encounter with our patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers the best that it can be.
- Complies with all Hospital policies and the Code of Business Conduct. Takes responsibility for own safety as well as the safety of patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers.
- Operation of PC windows based computers and related equipment by answering and completing external and internal calls for Winchester Hospital, and Answering Service customers. Responsible for answering and process internal operator dial “0” calls.
- Monitoring of medical and non-medical emergency alarm system. Knowledge and familiarity with various emergency codes and unique dispatch processes based on hospital site involving critical and sometimes life or death patient care emergencies and doing so in a timely manner with a high accuracy rate.
5. Provide 24/7 and after hours answering service call answering for a customer base of approximately of 200 physicians. Responsible to know the unique protocols of staff with regard to answering service coverage. Paging, messaging, and coordinating the information flow to on-call staff from critical patient care callers in a timely manner. Customer Service Representatives have knowledge to follow guidelines and Protocols.
- Continually update answering service staff changes and locating providers. Document complaint and incident calls for coordinator and resolve according to procedure.
- Utilize and have knowledge of overhead paging system in the hospital. Perform overhead paging to locate physicians and announcing emergency code response plans and doing so in a timely manner as to not impact patient care.
- Assist patient and staff with long distance dialed calls. Answer and provide directional assistant for patients, visitors, and staff for Winchester Hospital. Document and process physician consults. Update status for physicians and staff. Answer, transfer, and process patient information calls for hospital.
- Answer and forward telephone repair calls to appropriate technician staff.
- Perform pager repairs, programming, training and assist pager users with operational and emergency procedures in absence of Telecommunications Coordinator or Director.
- Maintain familiarity and responsible to implement a variety of disaster recovery plans in the event of equipment and/or system failures.
- Assist Telecommunications department on special projects as needed.
13. Participates in the following:
- Mandatory training requirements as per hospital/unit policies
- Continuing education/in services to enhance knowledge
- Staff meetings
- Performance improvement initiatives
e. Orientation of new staff, students and/or volunteers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- High school diploma preferred.
- Typing skills essential – a minimum of 30 wpm utilizing a headset.
- Previous customer service and answering service experience preferred.
- Experience in a high stress inbound call center processing a large number of calls preferred.
- Excellent communication speaking skills, hearing and speech articulation, along with accurate spelling.
- Professional teamwork skills along with excellent customer relations and service skills.
- Skill and ability to interact with various levels of management, physicians, and other medical related providers.
Part Time/24 HR
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.