Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Supports the mission of the department by ensuing that the right patients receive the right
medication in a safe and timely manner. Clinically reviews medication orders received from prescribers
to ensure that the medication, as ordered, is safe to administer to the patient. If not, intervenes with the prescriber on behalf of the patient. Appropriately enters order into the Pharmacy Information System. Supervises pharmacy technician,
and interns to ensure that the daily needs of our patients are being met. Provides drug information to medical staff and
patients upon request or when need is apparent.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: including but not limited to:
- Supervises pharmacy technician and interns to ensure that the daily needs of our patients are being met. Educate technician and interns as to safe medication practices.
- Provides drug information to medical staff and patients upon request or when need is apparent. Documents request into the intervention database in accordance with departmental policy
- Responsible for day-to-day management of drug distribution, including all controlled substances, IV medications, extemporaneously compounded medications, repackaged medications and investigational drugs.
- Responsible for understanding and utilizing all technology to accomplish the above.
- Serves as a liaison between pharmacy department and any health care provider
- Pharmacists are responsible for their own professional development including, meeting all requirements for continuing and education, keeping abreast of current professional literature, both from a clinical and medication safety perspective.
- Actively participates in continuous performance improvement activities of the department, including providing suggestions on how to improve day-to-day operations
- Performs assigned projects in a efficient and timely manner
- Demonstrates competency in all practice areas in which pharmacist duties are performed. Has completed all required departmental competency requirements.
- Incorporates Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: PharmD or BS in Pharmacy from an accredited college of pharmacy.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Registered Pharmacist in Massachusetts or ability to obtain this licensure. Preferred: Board Certification, ACLS, PALS.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Attend and provide drug expertise in emergency/code responses.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to establish good rapport with patients, caregivers and the health care team
- Conduct patient medication history and allergy review.
- Oversight of medication history pharmacy technicians.
- 2 years of experience in area of specialty highly recommended
- Completion of pharmacy residency, with critical care or emergency department experience preferred.
- Experience in precepting student pharmacists or pharmacy residents preferred.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.