Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 171290-1A
Date Posted: Oct 25, 2021
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
GENERAL SUMMARY: Delivers patient care through the process of assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation while maintaining professional standards. Provides nursing care for Radiology patients undergoing invasive and non-invasive diagnostic testing.
1. Exemplifies the values of Winchester Hospital and the PROMISE behaviors.
2. Complies with all Hospital policies and the Code of Business Conduct. Maintains current license, life support certification, and tuberculosis testing. Maintains a safe and clean work environment.
3. Utilizes the nursing process to provide all levels of patient care. Performs both complex and routine nursing treatments. Administers medication, blood, and intravenous fluids as prescribed by physicians and as warranted by the patients’ condition. Observes, evaluates, and documents patient symptoms, and responses to treatments/medications.
4. Provides nursing care for patients undergoing invasive and noninvasive diagnostic testing according to established procedures. Collects, interprets and records appropriate data patients’ physical status and behavior.
5. Administers medications and treatments in accordance with hospital policy.
6. Makes appropriate triage decisions; provides documentation.
7. Cares for patients’ needing suction, wound care, central line care, and thrombolytic therapy.
8. Appropriately manages patients who are in respiratory failure and on isolation precaution.
9. Collaborates and communicates effectively with all members of the health care team.
10. Ensures patients’ rights to privacy and confidentiality of results. Maintains patient safety by strictly following departmental infection control procedures and radiation safety procedures.
11. Performs functions of his/her job in accordance with Radiology’s Quality Improvement Program.
12. Participates in the following:
Mandatory training requirements as per hospital policy
Continuing education/inservices to enhance knowledge
Performance improvement initiatives
Orientation of new staff, students, and/or volunteers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Graduate of a state approved and/or accredited RN program required
BSN or obtain BSN within 5 years of hire required
Note: RNs that were hired prior to 10/1/13 that do not have a BSN are grandfathered.
BSN upon hire preferred
At least 2 years of experience in special procedures plus orientation and ongoing on-the-job training preferred.
Knowledge of preparation, administration, action and side effects of drugs used.
Knowledge of safety, infection control and quality control standards required.
Excellent communication and customer service skills required.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Massachusetts State Registered Nurses license.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Advanced Cardiac Life Support
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Adolescents, Adults and Geriatrics
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND VISUAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
2. Ability to reach and grasp objects and push, pull, lift and carry heavy objects.
3. Ability to lift move, position and transfer patients.
4. Ability to use computer.
5. Ability to proofread documents and check for accuracy.
6. Ability to communicate orally and in writing in the medical record.
7. Ability to manage multiple procedures at the same time.
OSHA EXPOSURE: Job involves possible exposure to blood body fluids or tissues. Job requires working in an area where there is exposure to radiation.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
1. Reports to the Nurse Coordinator (Radiology).
2. Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
Day, 24 hours
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.