Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 171478-1A
Date Posted: Jan 4, 2022
Category: Clinical Technician
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by delivering and advocating respiratory services as part of the multidisciplinary clinical team under the direction of a respiratory therapist. This clinical staff position will have an impact on improving quality and safety and patient satisfaction by providing accurate and thorough respiratory services to the patients at every encounter.
Required: Enrolled in an Associates of Science degree in Respiratory Care with limited license credentials
Preferred: Previous hospital or patient care
Required: For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors, and fellow members of the hospital team
Preferred: Basic computer skills
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
· Limited permit that is registered or registry eligible.
· Must receive Massachusetts license within two years of hire.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Neonates, Infants, Children, Adolescents, Adults, Geriatrics
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both
Schedule requirements: Weekend and holiday rotation
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to the Supervisor of Respiratory Therapy
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others
As part of the Respiratory team and under the supervision of fully licensed respiratory therapist, the Respiratory Therapy Technician:
· Provides basic respiratory therapy services which includes, but is not limited to, chest physical therapy and nebulizer treatments.
· Delivers respiratory medications to the patient as prescribed by physician orders.
· Sterilizes equipment or coordinates with Central Sterile Management to do so.
· Maintains a clean and safe work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety.
· Responds to supply/equipment issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life.
· Responds to medical emergencies such as “Code 99” and rapid response team calls.
· Conducts arterial blood gases by drawing blood on the patient, analyzes the results and making recommendations to appropriate clinician.
· Documents patient assessment, treatments and interaction in the electronic medical records system.
· In collaboration with a licensed Respiratory Therapist, performs functions excluded by their limited permit.
· The employee needs to have the physical and mental abilities to perform the duties of the position listed above using the PROMISE behaviors.
· It is anticipated that employee will have contact with potentially hazardous chemicals while performing their job duties.
· It is anticipated that the employee will have contact with blood, bodily fluids or other potentially infectious materials while performing their job duties.
· The list below is intended to describe the physical and sensory ability requirements of the position; however those requirements may vary, sometimes considerably, based on meeting patient and operational needs.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.