Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 171646-1A
Date Posted: Oct 26, 2021
Category: Service and Trades
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Food Service Director and Executive Chef Manager, coordinates and supervises the assembly, distribution, and serving of prepared food to all patients, visitors, and employees. Oversees the function of the entire department in absence of other Managers/Supervisors.
1. Exemplifies Winchester Hospital’s values and Service Excellence standards. Commits to making every encounter with our patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers the best that it can be.
2. Complies with all Winchester Hospital policies and the Code of Business Conduct. Maintains current certification and tuberculosis testing. Takes responsibility for own safety as well as the safety of patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers.
3. Oversees and directs daily activities of tray line, cafeteria, coffee shop, and production staff. Interviews, hires, orients, coaches, trains, and evaluates performance of, and when necessary disciplines, staff. Accurately maintains and updates all employee files.
4. Procures food and supplies for department, receives shipments, directs and assists with food handling and storage.
5. Prepares employee schedules at least two weeks in advance, ensuring staffing tables are utilized and any additional labor or overtime is reviewed with director.
6. Complies with department standards for meal delivery and set-up. Ensures that all trays are correctly assembled according to prescribed diet and appropriate substitutions are made.
7. Maintains and complies with department standards of sanitation, safety, and security to include daily cleaning of work areas and proper usage and upkeep of equipment.
8. Communicates regularly with management team and staff.
9. Conducts regular rounds in the cafeteria and coffee shop operations and rectifies any issues noted. Participates in catering functions and oversees vending operations ensuring cash procedures and inventory are followed.
10. Participates in meal rounds and tray assessments regularly; takes appropriate steps to rectify any issues.
11. Performs duties that need to be completed. Adjusts personal schedule as needed and is able to fill in for other supervisors/managers as needed. Utilizes staff effectively.
12. Participates in the following:
a. Mandatory training requirements as per unit/hospital policies
b. Continuing education/inservices to enhance knowledge
c. Staff meetings
d. Performance improvement initiatives
e. Orientation of new staff, students, and/or volunteers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. High school diploma required.
2. At least three years experience as a supervisor preferably in a Food Service environment required.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Food Safety and Sanitation Certificate
AGE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Not Applicable
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND VISUAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to lift overhead to stock items.
2. Ability to push food trucks and carts.
3. Ability to push, pull, carry, and lift light and heavy objects throughout the work shift.
4. Ability to hear and communicate orally and in writing.
5. Ability to stand for long periods of time.
6. Ability to read, write, and communicate in English.
OSHA EXPOSURE: Job does not involve possible exposure to blood, body tissues or fluids.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
1. Reports to Food Services Director and Executive Chef Manager.
2. Responsible for supervising the work of others.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.