Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under the general direction of the Director, Clinical Services and/or Nursing Leadership, performs all aspects of patient scheduling activities relative to the Interventional Pain Center and Procedure Room and provides administrative support to the department. Must be highly reliable, proficient with computers, patient focused, and accurate.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Scheduling new and existing patients by phone and in person. This includes verifying demographics and insurance, obtaining medical records and ensuring patient data is accurate.
- Provide excellent customer service to callers on a multi-line telephone system.
- Actively manage provider schedules.
- Schedule and coordinate patient appointments and procedures via phone and in person following Lahey Hospital & Medical Center protocols.
- Communicate effectively with providers, patients and colleagues. Establish good working relationships with both internal and external customers. Attention to detail is crucial.
- Responsible for accurate data collection and entry of patient name, date of birth, demographics, contact phone numbers, and referral source when necessary.
- Obtain accurate new and/or established insurance information.
- Responsible for communicating with providers and nursing concerning same day add on appointments, cancellations and/or rescheduled appointments and procedures.
- Knowledge of HIPAA compliance in healthcare.
- Excellent phone customer service skills; able to communicate in a friendly, upbeat and welcoming manner with all visitors, patients, and coworkers.
- A team-player attitude.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, and experience with medical scheduling software.
- Familiarity with medical insurance.
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills; listening skills; patience.
- Other related administrative duties as assigned.
- At least 2 years of prior scheduling experience in a medical setting in a similar capacity.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, grammar, and accurate spelling.
- Proficient in basic computer functions
- Must possess excellent customer service, communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize appropriately, and work well both individually and as part of a team.
- Must display a friendly, cheerful, tactful, and polite demeanor, and must be compassionate and caring in dealing with patients and co-workers.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Health Confidentiality Policy.
- Incorporates Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Policies. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital & Medical Center.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Junior college or equivalent work experience in a hospital or physician office setting. Completion of Medical Terminology Course or relevant experience.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Strong communication skills and exceptional patient relation and customer service skills are critical.
- Experience: 2 years experience in surgical scheduling, insurance or billing experience; a complete understanding of third party payor requirements and regulations. Familiarity with policies and procedures, understanding of scheduling requirements, medical terminology and knowledge of surgical procedure requirements, computer entry and legalities of signing consents forms with accuracy, and screening of medical information.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.