Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 171002-1A
Date Posted: Oct 1, 2021
Category: Clinical Support
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by functioning as a dispatcher for the Volunteer Services Department. This administrative/clinical support staff position will have an impact on Hospital operations and customer service by orchestrating the various services provided by Volunteer Services volunteers & patient transport. This position also impacts our community by making Winchester Hospital a desirable place for individuals to volunteer. It will have an impact on safety, patient throughput and patient satisfaction by responding to transport requests in a timely manner.
Coordinates and dispatches all volunteers whose services are requested through the Epic Transport Command Center. Oversee patient transporter requests for transports to and from the Hospital Inpatient Units and various departments. Office duties may include clerical and data entry. Ability to multi task, handle large volume of requests and work with multiple volunteers of all ages as well as the patient transport team.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
· Ability to be an effective team member.
· Ability to maintain professional composure when dealing with unusual circumstances
· Ability to adapt to changes in the external environment and organization.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively at various social levels and across diverse cultures.
· Excellent decision making skills
· Computer skills for data entry.
· Ability to multi task and handle large volume of requests
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors, volunteers, patient transport and fellow members of the hospital team.
· Knowledge of Epic
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: teenage & older age population
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both.
On-call Requirement: N/A
Schedule Requirements: primary weekday Monday-Friday schedule with flexibility of weekends based on need of the department. May include Holidays.
Travel Requirements: N/A
· Reports to the Volunteer Services Director
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others. Directs the work of others.
As part of the Volunteer Services team, this position:
· Functions as a dispatcher; to provide needed information for volunteer personnel who will then transport patients going to and from testing throughout the hospital as well as discharging patients and any errands such as delivering specimens, paperwork, equipment or supplies throughout the hospital.
· Understands and utilizes all functionality of the Epic Transport Command Center in order to provide the best possible turnaround times for requested services/transports.
· Accurately signs volunteers IN and OUT of service in the Epic Transport Command Center
· Is able to prioritize patients and errands when there are multliple requests
· Communicates with patient care units and testing areas in order to clarify any requests.
· Communicates with members of the patient transport team as needed
· Has strong communication skills and is able to provide direction and support to the transport staff as needed.
· Monitors volunteers and patient transport staff to ensure workflow efficiency
· Answers telephone inquiries in a professional manner when necessary for clarifying details for requests
· Receives information and distributes messages appropriately
· Answers common, non-clinical/complex questions for staff and visitors. Provides general information nregarding the hospital, it’s services and other information to imporve their total experience.
· Directs patients/visitors/staff to their desired location. MUST have knowledge of hospital locations
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.