Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 171067-1A
Date Posted: Sep 29, 2021
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission as a member of the hospital’s senior leadership, providing strategic leadership and direction to maintenance/facilities department and its leadership team, empowering and enabling them to achieve the Hospital’s success factor goals and their associated initiatives. This role is also responsible for managing the telephone operators/physician answering service and the Hospital’s biomedical needs through an outsourced vendor. This leadership position will have an impact on staff and patients’ safety and comfort by ensuring appropriate maintenance capabilities and in-house construction projects to meet the short and long term needs of the Hospital.
Required: Bachelor’s degree. An Associate’s degree may be considered with an additional two years of facilities management experience.
Preferred: Masters degree
· At least 5 years relevant experience in a healthcare environment
· At least 3 of those years must be in a progressive management role
· Experience with budget management
· Performance improvement/change management experience
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
· Strong construction and building systems knowledge
· Ability to communicate both orally and in writing to individuals at all levels of the organization.
· Ability to manage complex projects involving multiple departments and contractors.
· Ability to manage capital and facilities maintenance budget and personnel.
· Considered technical expert in field.
Required: Construction trade related license required
Preferred: Certified Health Care Facilities Manager (CHFM) or Certified Plant Engineer (CPE)
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both.
On-call: Will be contacted off-hours in cases of emergency situations.
Schedule requirements: Based on business needs and in response to emergency situations. Travel requirements: Based on business needs. Expected to conduct rounds regularly to connect with all locations and shifts in department.
Leadership requirements: Expected to attend leadership briefing and other leadership events.
· Reports to Vice President, Real Estate of Lahey Health and Winchester Hospital Facilities
· Responsible for supervising the work of others.
As a member of the Engineering and leadership teams, this Director position:
· Leads the department to ensure the department’s operations provide our patients with the most effective, efficient, safe, timely and patient-centered services possible.
· Fosters a commitment to performance improvement, using PI/Lean Six Sigma methodologies to constantly improve processes by removing variation and waste.
· Monitors the department’s key indicators’ outcomes. Uses this information to constantly improve department operations.
· Remains current on supervisory and the field’s best practices and trends. Fosters a commitment to performance excellence.
· Identifies and implements opportunities to increase patient/test volume, market share, and/or value-added services for the department’s customers.
· Consults and collaborates with resources and other departments to understand infrastructure implications of potential service line and our long and short-term opportunities.
· Builds effective relationships with physicians to optimize use of the Hospital’s facilities.
· Gathers operational insights and trend data to the Vice President to help build comprehensive and accurate short and long-term strategic and operational plans for the department.
· Plans for infrastructure issues, including but not limited to, facilities, equipment and information systems. Evaluates and determines infrastructure related decisions to optimize short and long-term success of the Hospital’s departments.
· Monitors the department’s achievement of goals and likelihood of achieving goals. Takes corrective action as needed.
· Communicates with staff to ensure the team and individuals understand their contribution to achieving department and Hospital goals. Fosters a culture of ownership and collaboration towards team goals.
· Gathers operational insights and trend data to create comprehensive and accurate operational and capital budget plans.
· Monitors status on budget achievement on an ongoing basis and takes corrective action to stay within goals. Researches and communicates budget variances.
· Ensures staff are educated on the status of the department budget and seeks their involvement and buy-in to improve fiscal success.
· Utilizes the staff effectively. Implement optimum short and long-term staffing for the department.
· Selects the best possible candidates. Ensures staff are properly oriented and coached so they can be successful in their jobs and within the Winchester Hospital culture.
· Provides ongoing performance feedback to employees to effectively coach for optimum short and long-term performance, including but not limited to, completing comprehensive, accurate, and on-time performance evaluations. Fosters a commitment to this process throughout the department leadership team.
· Seeks opportunities to recognize and reward staff.
· When appropriate participates in or approves the disciplinary process for staff.
· Fosters an environment of continuous learning.
· Creates an open supportive environment that encourages staff members to share opinions, concerns, and suggestions. Holds or participates in regular meetings and/or communications to keep the staff informed. Regularly rounds with staff.
· Addresses employee concerns and suggestions in a timely, sensitive and constructive manner. Collaborates with staff and leaders to make Winchester Hospital an employer of choice.
· Optimizes the success of the Hospital Employee Opinion Survey process by encouraging participation and honest feedback and then utilizing the EOS results to assess and communicate the department’s feedback. Develops and implements actions on the identified opportunities for improvement.
· Continually monitors employee engagement and addresses issues as soon as possible and appropriate.
· Fosters a culture of safety throughout the organization.
· Serves as a liaison with Winchester Hospital medical and administrative staff on matters related to the department.
· Fosters a commitment to physician engagement and satisfaction.
· Whenever possible incorporates physician feedback and suggestions in operational decisions and initiatives. Addresses concerns raised in the Physician Satisfaction Survey process.
· Mediates to resolve employee relations and employee-physician issues in the department. Keeps the Vice President informed of such issues as appropriate.
· Establishes ways to measure customer satisfaction and uses measures to constantly improve customer satisfaction.
· Addresses customer’s concerns that could not be resolved at other levels.
· Ensures the department’s policies and procedures are clear, concise, up to date and designed to ensure the safe and efficient operations of the department.
· Ensures staff are educated on department and Hospital policies and procedures. Monitors and addresses non-compliance and performance/knowledge gaps.
· Ensures department’s issues and operations are compliant with all laws, regulations and oversight organizations’ guidelines.
Process Improvement and Change Implementation
· Fosters an environment of collaboration and continual improvement within the specific department and interdepartmentally.
· Provides strategic direction to the Engineering/Facilities Department. Directs the department and its leadership team in the coordination of the hospital maintenance/facilities needs to ensure safe and comfortable operations for our staff and patients in a cost effective manner.
· Oversees in-house construction projects to meet the long term needs of our hospital.
· Collaborates with hospital leadership/departments to ensure appropriate maintenance capabilities to meet the mission of the Hospital.
· Manages the hospital’s telephone operators and the physician answering service.
· Manages the Biomedical needs of the hospital. Manages the outsourced vendor relationship to ensure quality, customer responsiveness, compliance and fiscal controls.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.