Location: Woburn, MA
Job ID: 170555-1A
Date Posted: Sep 21, 2021
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by providing the clerical support associated with lab specimen processing. This clerical support position will have an impact on laboratory efficiency, physician/clinician satisfaction and ultimately patient satisfaction by recording receipt of specimens accurately and efficiently and following through on lab results in a timely manner.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
Preferred: At least one year of medical laboratory, clerical or secretarial experience.
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS
Schedule requirements: Required to rotate holidays or weekends coverage.
Travel requirements: Position is expected to rotate between the core lab and the hospital locations.
As part of the Laboratory team, this position:
· Receives specimens from multiple locations, data inputs accurate documentation of the patient and the required lab test order.
o Verifies appropriate specimen accompanies test requisition.
o Verifies that the specimen is properly labeled with two patient identifiers, date and time of collection, initials of person obtaining the sample
o Attach printed labels to specimens from physician offices if necessary
· Completes the order, producing labels and essential documentation.
· Verifies insurance information and follows through with Hospital registration and/or physician practices to ensure appropriate and efficient billing.
o Investigate test requisitions with missing information from physician office or off-sites
o Issues ABN form to patients when tests do not meet medical necessity
· Release medical information to patients when requested
· Delivers specimens in batches or stat requests individually to the appropriate lab departments and packs up deliveries intended for the off-site laboratory departments.
· Contacts clinicians with results based on their specified preferences either over the phone or via fax.
· Answers the phone in a professional manner, answering questions about lab results and researches test status when necessary.
· Runs reports and addresses the data by providing results, checking on outstanding tests, and other follow through required to improve lab efficiency and physician/clinician satisfaction.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.