Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 170562-1A
Date Posted: Sep 16, 2021
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by being responsible for the patient care/nursing unit(s) or departments. As a member of the Hospital’s leadership team provides day-to-day supervision to guide staff toward achieving the Hospital’s success factor goals and their areas’ associated initiatives and goals. This licensed Registered Nurse/leadership position will impact patient care and satisfaction and operational efficiency.
· Bachelor’s degree in Nursing and must obtain Masters degree within 5 years of hire.
· Either the Bachelor’s or Masters degree must be in Nursing.
· Master’s degree upon hire
· At least five years of work experience as a nurse, with at least two years being in clinical experience relevant to the unit's patient population.
Center for Cancer Care – Oncology: At least five years of work experience as a nurse with at least 3 years of outpatient nursing experience focused on Hematology/Oncology population.
Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Center: At least five years of work experience as a nurse with at least 2 years of outpatient nursing experience in a hospital ambulatory setting.
· One year supervisory experience
· Experience with budget management
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
· Demonstrated ability to lead and/or be in charge.
· Excellent customer service and communication skills
· Knowledge of JCAHO standards, safety, infection control, and quality control standards
Required: Current license to practice professional nursing from Massachusetts Board of Registration
Center for Cancer Care – Oncology: Oncology Nursing Certification required.
Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Center:
· Current license to practice as a Nurse Practitioner from the Massachusetts Board of Registration.
· State and Federal DEA Licensure for prescriptive practice
· WOCNCB® certification in Wound Care
· AANC® or AANP® certification as an Adult, Geriatric or Family Nurse Practitioner
· Credentialed by the Medical Staff as a Nurse Practitioner
· Membership in a professional and leadership organization
· Certification in Clinical specialty
Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Center: Hyperbaric Nursing Certification
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support certification. Additional education may be required based on the unit if noted below:
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
The population specific requirements differ based on the patients cared for on the unit:
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both.
On-call: May be called off hours for consultations and in case of emergency.
Schedule requirements: Based on business needs and in response to emergency situations. Travel requirements: Travel among Hospital facilities
· Reporting structure differs depending on the unit:
o Nursing and Surgical Services Units: Nursing Services Director
o Center for Cancer Care – Oncology: Oncology Service Line Director
o Wound Care/Hyperbaric Center: Radiology Administrative Director
· Responsible for supervising the work of others.
· Oversees and directs the day-to-day department operations to ensure the department is doing their part to provide our patients with the most effective, efficient, safe, timely and patient-centered services possible.
· Uses performance improvement methodologies to constantly improve processes by removing variation and waste.
· Continually monitors the department’s key indicators’ outcomes. Uses this information to constantly improve department operations.
· Remains current on supervisory and the field’s best practices and trends.
· Identifies and recommends opportunities to increase patient/test volume and market share.
· Identifies fundraising opportunities and assists with grant writing.
· May provide input into the process of consulting with the Business Development Department to understand infrastructure implications of potential service line and our long and short-term opportunities.
· Builds effective relationships with physicians to optimize use of the Hospital’s facilities.
· Provides operational insights and trend data to the Director to help build comprehensive and accurate short and long-term strategic and operational plans for the department.
· Addresses infrastructure issues, including but not limited to, facilities, equipment and information systems. Evaluates and recommends infrastructure related decisions to optimize short and long-term success of the Hospital’s departments.
· Collaborates with Director to establish department priorities and goals.
· Monitors the department’s achievement of goals and likelihood of achieving goals. Takes corrective action as needed, keeping the Director informed as necessary.
· Passes along communications, so to ensure all staff members understand their contribution to achieving department and Hospital goals
· Provides operational insights and trend data to the Director. Drafts and recommends comprehensive and accurate operational and capital budget plans.
· Monitors status on budget achievement on an ongoing basis and takes corrective action to stay within goals. Researches and communicates budget variances
· Educates staff on the status of the department budget and seeks their involvement and buy-in to improve fiscal success
· Schedules the staff effectively. Recommends and requests optimum short and long-term staffing for the department.
· Selects the best possible candidates. Ensures staff are properly oriented and coached so they can be successful in their jobs and within the Winchester Hospital culture
· Provides ongoing performance feedback to employees to effectively coach for optimum short and long-term performance, including but not limited to, completing comprehensive, accurate, and on-time performance evaluations
· Recognizes and rewards staff.
· When appropriate disciplines staff.
· Fosters an environment of continuous learning.
· Creates an open and supportive environment that encourages staff members to share opinions, concerns and suggestions. Holds regular meetings and/or communications to keep the staff informed.
· Addresses employee concerns and suggestions in a timely, sensitive and constructive manner.
· Analyzes turnover data and as necessary develops action plans.
· Optimizes the success of the Hospital Employee Partnership Survey process by encouraging participation and honest feedback and then utilizing the EPS results to assess and communicate the department’s feedback. Implements actions on the identified opportunities for improvement.
· Serves as a liaison with Winchester Hospital medical and administrative staff on matters related to the department.
· Collaborates with practitioners to optimize the department’s effectiveness and efficiency with an effort to fulfill the physician schedule and operational preferences.
· Endeavors to incorporate physician feedback and suggestions in operational decisions and initiatives. Addresses concerns raised in the Physician Satisfaction Survey process as directed by the Director.
· Mediates to resolve employee relations and employee-physician issues in the department. Keeps the Director informed of such issues as appropriate.
· Establishes ways to measure customer satisfaction and uses measures to constantly improve customer satisfaction.
· Addresses customer’s concerns that could not be resolved at the staff level.
· Creates updates and implements clear and concise department policies and procedures to ensure the safe and efficient operations of the department.
· Educates staff on department and Hospital policies and procedures. Monitors and addresses non-compliance.
· Stays current with all regulatory issues pertinent to the department’s clinical issues and operations, which may include but are not limited to, The Joint Commission, Department of Public Health, Department of Labor and OSHA. Ensures the department is in compliance with regulatory requirements including but not limited to ensuring policy and procedure manuals meet requirements and staff remain current in required education and licensure.
Process Improvement and Change Implementation
· With approval, may lead the department in clinical research initiatives
· Fosters an environment of collaboration and continual improvement
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS
· Serves as a resource/expert in the delivery of patient care, promoting research efforts, growth on the unit, promoting effective continuity of care for promoting excellence in care for patients and staff. Utilizes the results of evidence-based research to improve clinical outcomes.
· Develops and maintains cooperative working relationships with physicians, patients, patient support networks and other hospital departments, vendors and/or outsourced services to ensure efficient operations, quality patient care, and stakeholder satisfaction.
Center for Cancer Care – Oncology:
o Creates a supportive environment for Oncologists, facilitating operations consistent with a physician practice model.
o Participates in the formation of the Cancer Annual Report contributing oncology statistics, comparing to the National average and critically analyzing unit outcomes (cure rates and extension of life).
o Develops, coordinates, and prepares lectures relating to Hematology and Oncology for patients, public and health professionals. Promotes patient and family oncology education
o Oversees referrals from physician offices and other intra-hospital departments to ensure physician and patient satisfaction and minimize reimbursement problems and delays.
Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Center:
o By appointment, cares for patients within the scope of practice as a Nurse Practitioner.
o As necessary, provides Wound Care consultative services to the inpatient and outpatient population and staff.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.