Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
The Advanced Practitioner (AP) will join a busy and expanding Surgical Weight Loss Team that cares for patients undergoing a variety of surgical weight loss interventions, across several centers. The AP will work in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team of surgeons, advanced practitioners, dietitians, psychologists and specialty providers to provide high quality and compassionate care to patients, both preoperatively and postoperatively. Provider will rotate between the Danvers and Burlington outpatient clinics, with greater percentage of time spent in Danvers. Possible future need for some days at Addison Gilbert Hospital, Gloucester.
Full time / 40 hour position
- Complete initial consult H&Ps for new patients, in multidisciplinary setting with psychology and nutrition.
- Optimize safety for surgery through additional preoperative appointments, facilitation of appropriate preoperative testing and specialty consultations. Ensure stability of chronic disease states preoperatively.
- Teach and counsel patients on healthy lifestyle behavior changes, with emphasis on health eating and exercise, to support pre/postoperative success.
- Complete preoperative H&Ps once surgery is scheduled.
- Differentiate normal results from abnormal findings of testing completed pre and postoperatively.
- Perform telephone triage and evaluation of patient illnesses, problems and concerns.
- Perform urgent/emergent postoperative evaluations for patient complications and facilitate appropriate treatment plan in collaboration with attending surgeon.
- Participate in evening new patient information sessions, preoperative teaching classes and support groups on a rotating basis.
- Consult with collaborating physician on cases of concern.
- Make referrals to specialists as necessary.
- Teach and counsel patients in additional preventative health care, i.e. smoking, routine health screenings, sexuality, etc.
- Perform lap band adjustments when needed.
- Provide follow-up surgical care, i.e. staple/suture removal, dressing changes, drain removal, etc..
- Communicate relevant patient data via dictation and/or provide complete written documentation in the medical record including summaries of examinations, office visits, progress notes, telephone conversations, procedures and tests. Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Adhere to patient care standards as defined by collaborating physician and Medical Director.
- Attend regularly scheduled provider meetings (Monthly Provider Division Meeting, Quarterly AP Division Meeting, Monthly Surgical Grand Rounds, Weekly Surgical Weight Loss Team Meetings) and serve on committees in order to develop and assist with planning, developing, implementing and monitoring new or revised clinical programs within the group practice.
- Participate in ongoing educational programs for Nurse Practitioners; maintain professional development through organizational and community resources, conferences, workshops, etc.; maintain BCLS certification.
- Maintain collaborative working relationships with all levels of staff.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Delegates task to support staff within appropriate scope of practice.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner or PA program.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Eligibility for or current Nurse Practitioner license in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Must maintain BLS certification through American Heart Association.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Ability to adequately perform essential duties and responsibilities as described in job description.
Experience: Prior surgical weight loss, general surgery or weight management experience a plus, but not necessary.