Location: Woburn, MA
Job ID: 169784-1A
Date Posted: Apr 6, 2022
Category: Clinical Technician
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by assisting in the delivery of quality, safe clinical care in the ambulatory setting. This clinical staff position will have an impact on the patient’s experience by facilitating excellent outcomes utilizing a collaborative team approach to patient care and on patient satisfaction by minimizing wait times and ensuring a clean, well-stocked and welcoming environment
Required: High school diploma or equivalent required
Preferred: Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program
Preferred: Experience working in a healthcare setting
· Basic computer skills and good typing skills with accuracy and attention to detail
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
Preferred: Medical Assistant Certification
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Schedule requirements: Based on department needs
Weight Management Program: Must be willing to work one to two evenings a week
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reporting structure:
Cardiopulmonary Services, Breast Care Center: Nurse/Program Coordinator
Weight Management Program: Program Manager and with clinical oversight provided by the Nurse Practitioner
Hematology/Oncology and Wound Healing Center: Nurse Manager
· Works under the direction of a nurse or physician
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Patient Care team, this position:
· Identifies, greets, transports and/or escorts patients making the patients feel welcomed and comfortable.
Takes vital signs, heights and weights and interviews patients for history and medication list. Observes patient and reports findings to licensed clinician and/or physician.
· Assists the nurse, physician, and/or other licensed clinician with the patient visit and care, which may include procedures such as:
o Preparing patient for visit including transferring to exam table/chair.
o Setting up trays and preparing equipment, instruments and materials for the nurse and/or physician.
o Acting as a chaperone and/or provides emotional support for the patient.
o Explaining procedures and reviewing patient instructions
o Labeling specimens and transporting or preparing for transport.
o Assisting with wound care
o Drawing blood
o Performing EKGs
o Performing finger stick blood sugar tests
o Assisting with other tests and procedures
· Cleans and prepares the exam room or other patient areas between patients ensuring a clean, sanitized and welcoming environment.
· Maintains appropriate supplies both in exam/patient areas and ensures adequate stock is maintained for the department. Orders routine medical supplies. Monitors expirations and rotates inventory.
· Prepares, cleans and maintains equipment, addressing issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life.
· Has incidental access to medications.
· Maximizes patient throughput to minimize wait time and improve patient satisfaction.
· Provides administrative assistance to the department, including but not limited to:
o Preparing medical records for visit
o Providing front desk coverage
o Collecting messages and processing prescription refill requests.
o Following up with patients for appointment reminders and other issues.
o Scheduling appointments and coordinating referrals and preapprovals
o Filing records as necessary
· Appropriately follows the chain of command and adheres to hospital policies and procedures.
· Communicates effectively with the healthcare team utilizing established handoff procedures. Gives and accepts respectful feedback to enhance teamwork.
· Minimizes preventable harm events and consistently executes the infection control protocols. Incorporates the Culture of Safety tools in daily practice, adhering to quality and safety guidelines and communicating near-miss or potential risks.
· Coordinates work schedule with departmental supervisor to maintain adequate staffing levels to meet our patients’ and physicians’ needs.
· Maintains a clean and safe work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety.
· Functions effectively in patient crisis situations and utilizes emergency resources. Assists in preparation of patient for transport to appropriate level of care.
· The functions performed in the various ambulatory care areas may differ depending on the patient population and services provided. Medical Assistants are responsible to meet all applicable competencies.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.