Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 169888-1A
Date Posted: Aug 16, 2021
Category: Service and Trades
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission to care, heal and to excel in service to our community by providing a safe environment for staff, patients, visitors and property and overseeing and coordinating the hospital’s security operations for a shift. Develops and promotes collaborative and collegial relationships throughout the hospital. This lead staff position will have an impact on employee and patient satisfaction by fostering professional security services and collaborating with all hospital departments to enhance the hospital environment and improve the patient experience.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice or Certified Healthcare Security Officer.
Required: At least two years security experience required with a minimum of six months in a hospital setting.
Required: Current Class D Driver’s License, Crisis Prevention Intervention Certificate (hired employees must be certified within 1 year of hire date. Employees who are currently certified must receive yearly re-certification).
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: BLS or Heart Saver
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Children, Adolescent, Adult, and Geriatric
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Schedule requirements: Holiday coverage is required based on regular shift.
Travel requirements: May be required to travel expediently to off-site locations.
· Reports to the Manager of Security, Transportation, and Parking.
· Directs the work of others; does not supervise others.
As part of the Security team, this position functions in the dual capacity of:
Works collaboratively with the Manager of Security, Transportation and Parking in the planning and implementing of security operations and performance improvement initiatives for the department.
Demonstrates expertise in the security practices and fosters a climate of professional excellence.
Oversees shift operations, assigning functions to optimize efficiency, coordinates response to customer service requests, alarms and emergencies.
· Precepts and mentors staff so to expand their knowledge and competence in security operations and processes.
· Troubleshoots operational issues and customer service calls and complaints. Follows the proper chain of command to resolve concerns, addressing the short term issue and recommending and/or working towards long-term resolution and improvements with Manager.
· Provides performance feedback on staff directly to the staff member thus fostering a culture of continuous learning and improvement and to the manager as appropriate. Addresses patient and staff safety concerns promptly. Gives input into the performance evaluation process.
· Collaborates with the Charge Nurse(s) and Nursing Supervisor throughout the facility to provide better patient care.
· Reports unusual events to the appropriate on-call member of S.T.P Management.
· Assesses and assigns patient one-to-one /close observations to ensure overall safety of staff and patients.
· Approves, tracks and reports staffing overages due to multiple demand needs.
· Assists Human Resources in investigations, safety observations and/or escorting individuals off the premises.
Security Officer (as needed, based on meeting the needs of the Hospital):
· Performs one to one and close observation of patients in a safe and professional manner, in collaboration with Patient Care Services.
· Conducts interior and exterior patrols to inspect the grounds for criminal activity, and health and safety hazards.
· Provides one to one patient observation for at-risk patients throughout the organization to keep the patient and others safe.
· Records and reports security and safety related incidents.
· Provides safety escorts upon request.
· Enforces parking regulations and assists with traffic control.
· Investigates lost or stolen items.
· Investigates alarms and emergency calls immediately.
· Reacts to emergency codes expediently to follow through on the situation until parties are safe or the situation is resolved.
· Responds to customer service requests in a timely manner with an emphasis on improving the patient experience.
· Supports shuttle services in daily duties, inclement weather and emergency situations by driving employees as needed.
· Transports bodies and body parts to the morgue, filing essential documentation timely and accurately.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.