Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under the general direction of the Executive Director, Strategy & Portfolio Management, the Director of Portfolio Management is responsible for supporting the continual monitoring and assessment of progress towards strategic goals through the management of projects and programs. The Director of Portfolio Management will manage a team of project/program managers in providing expertise to leaders, helping to support and execute major initiatives, change, and continuous improvement efforts. The position is responsible for overseeing and leading the strategic and tactical functions of the Project Management Office (PMO), as it pertains to both strategic and operational projects for the organization.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Portfolio Management
- In collaboration with the Executive Director of Strategy & Portfolio Management, oversee the centralized business function which operates at a strategic level with the organization’s executive leadership and provides organization-wide support on governance, project portfolio management best practices, tools and standardized processes.
- Support strategy execution by managing projects, programs, and other related work that align to the organization's strategies and objectives.
- Evaluate new opportunities against the current portfolio and comparatively to each other, taking into account the organization's execution capacity.
- Provide strategic thought leadership to translate strategic priorities into actionable plans; ensure resource capability and capacity; drive execution; and select the appropriate key performance indicators to measure impact.
- Oversee the establishment of cross-functional working groups to ensure clarity of scope, priority, resourcing, dependencies, scheduling and governance of strategic initiatives.
- Establish structured and proven delivery discipline, as well as innovative, and interactive delivery frameworks.
- Foster a culture of accountability, collaboration, and effective communication, and encourage continuous improvement through portfolio analytics and insights.
- Project Management Office (PMO)
- Responsible for overseeing and managing projects related to business process/technology initiatives, change management, and other projects that align to the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders.
- Continuously review and audit the project management practices of the organization to ensure that sound, standardized practices are being applied.
- Demonstrate and help socialize project management best practices through our tools, processes, guidelines, and standards in order to establish a stable framework that supports all project teams and stakeholders to improve the probability of successful project delivery.
- Support organizational decision-making, operational execution, and resource allocation based on data and sound reasoning.
- Lead the planning, design, and implementation of a scalable knowledge sharing infrastructure that enables a sustainable content lifecycle, ensuring appropriate and effective integration across multiple business functions.
- Effectively scope, lead, and manage from inception through execution projects that support the short-term business objectives and the long-term strategic goals.
- Facilitate identification of project impacts across all business areas.
- Support business areas when roadblocks are encountered and aid in successful removal of obstacles (escalating where appropriate).
- Provide expertise tailored to business performance requirements and add value to annual strategy planning sessions by quantifying opportunities for improvement.
- Lead the identification and development of PMO roles, team configuration, and recruitment appropriate to achieve PMO mission.
- Performance Excellence Programs
- Develop and manage the portfolio of organization-wide programs that support LHMC’s strategy, which will continually evolve in number, scope, and scale as the organizations accomplishes its strategic goals.
- Regularly assesses program effectiveness, identify areas requiring tactical intervention and process improvement, and establish performance management, goal setting, and succession planning to ensure long-tern sustainability.
- Interact effectively with stakeholders at all organizational levels, including senior executives and physician leaders, to affect change within the organization.
- Establish program management rhythm including processes, governance, templates, operating metrics, and program scorecards.
- Navigate change management concerns and address political issues that may interfere with projects, advising stakeholders on key business decisions and major change initiatives.
- Transfer stakeholders’ perceptions of problems into viable solutions and actionable plans, utilizing diplomacy and flexibility in response to stakeholders’ changing concerns, while maintaining oversight of cost, schedule, and quality to ensure that critical milestones and deliverables are completed in a timely manner.
- Prioritize and manage multiple competing projects, deadlines, and customer relationships, giving appropriate attention to high value projects and those in critical phases.
- Develop business case justifications utilizing cost benefit and risk analyses, and evaluate, track, and monitor each project according to a defined return on investment (ROI).
- Responsible for the alignment of organizational culture, performance, leadership, and processes around key organizational programs that exemplify clinical, operational, and financial excellence.
- Responsible for communicating programmatic activities and progress to garner stakeholder engagement – specifically, communication materials and updates for the Board of Trustees and senior leadership, and external-facing content
- Performance Improvement
- Facilitate and support performance improvement across Lahey Hospital & Medical Center through participation in, leadership of, and coaching of individuals working on improvement projects.
- Define, design, and communicate the strategy behind the improvement to facilitate the transfer of knowledge and capabilities to local business owners.
- Drive a systematic approach to problem solving and process improvement using quality management and engineering tools such as Lean Thinking, Six Sigma, Statistical Process Control, Design of Experiment, etc.
- Apply appropriate change management strategies and tools.
- Apply advanced concepts, principles, theories and techniques to systematically approach performance improvement opportunities.
- Maintain and facilitate a performance improvement culture. Serve as an impactful change agent. Take initiative to reach out and drive changes. Develop teams to thrive on change and inspire colleagues to embrace and embed new ways of working.
- Vendor Management
- Manage a portfolio of vendor relationships and contracts in order to maximize value of the product/service while controlling costs and maintenance resources. Ensure timely and accurate submission of data in accordance with stakeholder expectations, company standards, and budget.
- Work with external stakeholders and vendors to ensure LHMC performance measures remain relevant and consistent with national program requirements and trends
- Pursue and maintain analytical alignment across the suite of products that belong to large vendors in order to pursue cross-domain analyses
- Influence the development of healthcare measurement initiatives by working with internal stakeholders and external partners
- Participate in program, product, and vendor proposal reviews, and the selection of data management, benchmarking, and survey vendors.
- Human Resources
- Hire, transfer, discipline, terminate or initiate other personnel actions affecting staff employment.
- Develop recruitment and retention strategies with human resources to hire, retain and develop qualified colleagues.
- Establish a culture where all colleagues feel valued and able to contribute to service excellence.
- Support an atmosphere of collegiality and promote professional development to build LHMC as an organization of excellence.
- Function as a role model for all Lahey colleagues through positive attitude, adherence to organizational policies and procedures and/or professional code of ethics.
- Provide a safe environment for patients and colleagues, encouraging colleagues to contribute to problem solving and promote best practices.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues regarding Lahey news/visions/goals so as to ensure staff inclusion and participation as valued members of LHMC.
- Ensure that all annual performance appraisals are completed within the established time frame in each of the assigned areas.
- In conjunction with leadership, ensure that all colleagues in assigned areas adhere to Lahey’s compliance and mandatory education requirements.
- In consultation with Human Resources, meet equal employment/affirmative action program goals and objectives.
- Comply with federal, state and local laws and regulations as well as Lahey Hospital and Medical Center’s policies and programs.
- Health Care Knowledge, Professional Growth and Development
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the changing health care environment.
- Actively seek opportunities for professional development through self-awareness and feedback and pursue opportunities to become multi-skilled to serve a more diverse role in the department.
- Identify internal resources as sources of expertise to achieve learning goals.
- Serve as a conduit of knowledge between functional and technical teams, engaging with all levels across the organization, connecting needs to capabilities and setting expectations.
- Organizational Requirements
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Confidentiality policy.
- Incorporates Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Standards of Behavior and Guiding Principles into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital and Medical Center.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in health care related field, masters preferred.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Lean, Six Sigma, or Lean Six Sigma certification preferred.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
40 Hours / Day
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.