Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 169621-1A
Date Posted: Jul 30, 2021
Category: Clinical Support
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by supporting our clinical teams in transporting our patients to various departments during their stay and upon discharge. This clinical support staff position will have an impact on safety, patient throughput and patient satisfaction by responding to transport requests in a timely manner and carefully transporting patients with empathy, respect and reassurance.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
Preferred: Prior patient care experience
· Excellent skills in interpersonal relations
· Organizational and customer service skills
· Ability to work independently and to set priorities
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, their family members, visitors, and fellow members of the hospital team
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Schedule requirements: Based on department needs
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to the Director of Volunteer Services
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others
As part of the Volunteer department team, this position:
· Rounds the hospital to assess transport inventory and moves equipment to optimize operations and to maximize patient throughput.
· Greets and informs patient of move process and identifies patient making the patient feel informed and comforted, fulfilling all safety and quality checks and procedures.
· Moves furniture around to accommodate the stretcher and/or wheelchair.
· Involves clinical staff in transferring patient from the bed to the stretcher or wheelchair.
· Pushes patient and the patient’s medical chart to the various departments within the hospital conveying empathy and reassurance while caring for the patient’s dignity, comfort and safety.
· Notifies the receiving department upon arrival and conducts a thorough hand off. Returns to the patient and explains the next steps. Stays with the patient if additional comfort or supervision is appropriate.
· Transports select patients upon discharge, waiting for their transportation, and assisting them into their vehicle if necessary, ending the patient’s stay with a friendly note.
· Prioritizes multiple transport requests to optimize patient throughput, reducing wait times to improve patient and family members’ satisfaction. Communicates with the requesting departments to collaborate on resolving transport conflicts.
· Listens for pages regarding medical codes and retrieves a fresh code cart to replenish the involved department’s ensuring the department has access to this emergent tool. Moves code carts to multiple departments to appropriately replenish the carts’ supplies.
· Moves patient care equipment and other materials. Delivers items throughout the hospital, as needed, including but not limited to laboratory specimens and pharmacy supplies.
· Responds to equipment issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.