Welcome to Shared Services, our team uses a coordinated approach to delivering administrative and operational services across Lahey. Our Shared Services colleagues leverage resources across the organization to ensure we provide high-quality, high-value care to the communities we proudly serve. The Shared Services team includes colleagues who focus on business and network development, legal services, facilities and real estate, human resources, information technology, finance, philanthropy and marketing and communications.
About the Job
Under the general direction of the department Director and exercising independent judgment and decision-making within the scope of the job, performs a variety of activities associated with the interpretation, administration and communication of benefits to eligible colleagues. The Sr. Benefits Specialist possesses and applies knowledge of benefit plans, their administration, and regulatory requirements.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Day-to-day management of assigned benefit programs and related processes and projects.
- Responds to requests for information from internal constituents relative to benefits coverage, enrollment, eligibility, status changes, and claims processing.
- Ensures the proper use and submission of related forms and other documentation required for accurate and thorough processing of enrollments, status changes, terminations, and the like, and within established time restraints.
- Administers policies and guidelines governing employee benefits consistently and according to plan documents and Beth Israel Lahey Health policies & practices in support of Health & Welfare, Retirement, ERISA, FMLA, HIPAA, Time Away, Physician Billing and Tuition Reimbursement.
- Assists with policy revision and development.
- Maintains regular contact with vendors and plan representatives to ensure that enrollment status changes are processed accurately and in accordance with strict time limits.
- Vendor relations:
- Cultivates effective working relationships with assigned external vendors.
- Works with Third Party Administrators to ensure that assigned programs are administered smoothly, fairly, and in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Supports HR Management team activities in the review and selection of new vendors.
- Ensures monthly vendor invoices are processed timely. Invoices must be coded appropriately and submitted to the Finance department for payment.
- Electronic Systems:
- Uses existing electronic systems for routine data entry, inquiries, research, and reporting.
- Performs testing, and problem solving in assigned areas. Participates in testing of processes, programs, and applications.
- Serves as an expert to colleagues, managers, and HR Staff in Self-Service environments.
- Assists management staff in the review and selection of new systems or upgrades. Collaborates with HRIS to identify and resolve systems issues.
- Interacts one-on-one with all levels of colleagues seeking information and/or action about a variety of benefits issues.
- Participates in development of literature supporting benefits administration, including brochures, Summary Plan Documents, memos, enrollment materials and forms.
- Participates in development of, and conducts, workshops, meetings, and counseling sessions to announce/communicate benefit programs.
- Effectively presents benefits-related information to individuals and groups.
- Presents Benefits orientation programs as assigned.
- Annual Open Enrollment:
- Partners with Human Resources Information Services (HRIS) in the design, testing, and launch of electronic Open Enrollment applications including Self-Service and the dedicated intranet sites.
- Assists with system-wide Annual Open Enrollment preparation, communications, coordinating and staffing the help desk;
- Coordinates and/or facilitates Benefits Help Desk activities, including drafting instructions, maintaining schedule to ensure adequate coverage
- General Requirements:
- Works independently on assigned projects.
- Works as an effective part of a team on assigned projects.
- Works collaboratively with other members of the Human Resources and other departments to accomplish goals.
- Participates in Surveys as assigned.
Education: Bachelors Degree or equivalent related professional experience.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Knowledge of assigned benefits plans.
- Proficiency in electronic systems supporting benefits enrollment and administration.
- Skill in effective public speaking to small and large groups.
- Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, project management, and benefits-driven HRIS systems.
- Effective Customer Service skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information appropraitely.
- Effective written and oral communications skills
- Processing skills, such as handling of forms, inquiries and systems tests.
- Problem solving skills.
- Familiarity with HRIS systems such as PeopleSoft.
- In the absence of any of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.
Experience: 5 years of Benefits senior professional responsibility including benefits development and communication for a full spectrum of benefits programs. Successful experience designing programs and communications. Senior professional level benefit design and communications experience.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.