Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 169377-1A
Date Posted: Jul 27, 2021
Category: Service and Trades
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by providing the laundry and linen needs throughout the hospital. This staff position will have an impact on patient and family members’ satisfaction as the cleanliness of linen directly impacts people’s perception of the hospital and this position can improve clinical operations by making sure the staff have the required supplies.
Preferred: High School Diploma or equivalent
· Excellent customer service skills
· Able to communicate effectively over the phone.
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
· Able to work with limited supervision.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both.
On-call Requirement: N/A
Schedule Requirements: N/A
Travel Requirements: N/A
· Reports to the day shift supervisor.
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Environmental Services team, this position:
· Delivers linen and other laundry items throughout the hospital and stocks based on par levels. Stores excess in clean linen room.
· Picks up soiled linen from all areas of the hospital, including from laundry chutes.
· Weighs soiled linen and documents.
· Accepts deliveries and reviews slips for weights and piece counts. Reports discrepancies through the chain of command.
· Monitors par levels and stocks to ensure adequate supplies. Makes recommendations of par level adjustments based on usage and trends. Engages managers in discussions about cost saving opportunities.
· Responds quickly to emergency issues and rush requests.
· Attends staff meetings and huddles, offering suggestions and contributing to the collaborative team approach.
· Documents linen usage from all areas.
· Launder mops, cleaning cloths, special lift pad, curtains and other laundered items
· Assists laundry driver with unloading linen from truck
· Maintains equipment to cleanliness, safety and fire prevention standards including cleaning out lint traps daily.
· Completes required documentation, such as dryer cleaning log.
· Ensures all clean linen is covered at all times following department procedures.
· Embosses hospital logo on specialty linen items to increase loss prevention.
· It is anticipated that employee will have contact with potentially hazardous chemicals while performing their job duties.
· It is anticipated that the employee will have contact with blood, bodily fluids or other potentially infectious materials while performing their job duties.
· The list below is intended to describe the physical and sensory ability requirements of the position; however those requirements may vary, sometimes considerably, based on meeting patient and operational needs.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.