Location: Wilimington, MA
Job ID: 169459-1A
Date Posted: Sep 24, 2021
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
GENERAL SUMMARY: Performs a variety of office duties including answering all in coming phone calls, scheduling appointments, acknowledging patients, and collecting co-payments. Interacts with patients, families, physicians and coworkers in a courteous, friendly and efficient manner.
1. Exemplifies Winchester Hospital’s values and Service Excellence standards. Commits to making every encounter with our patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers the best that it can be.
2. Complies with all Winchester Hospital policies and the Code of Business Conduct. As required, maintains a current tuberculosis testing. Takes responsibility for own safety as well as the safety of patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers.
3. Answers all incoming phone calls and routes to appropriate person. Takes clear
messages for providers or other office staff. Handles routine requests for information.
Ensures that emergent messages are handle per practice protocols.
4. Greets and directs patients and answers all questions in a courteous and helpful
manner within scope of responsibility.
5. Schedules patient appointments and collects pre-registration information at the time of
scheduling. Registers patients, verifies health insurance coverage and demographic information. Collects co-payments, records co-payment on day sheet, and issues receipts.
6. Maintains provider appointment schedules.
7. Enters charges into computer system. Answers routine billing questions.
Obtains signatures for all forms including insurance waivers and authorization forms.
8. Schedules diagnostic and specialty appointments. Completes referrals for diagnostic
and specialty appointments per practice protocols.
9. Receives and distributes mail per practice protocols.
10. Participates in the following:
a. Mandatory training requirements as per hospital/unit policies
b. Continuing education/inservices to enhance knowledge
Performance improvement initiatives
e. Orientation of new staff, students and/or volunteers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. High School diploma required
2. At least one year of secretarial/medical assistant experience.
3. Keyboarding ability
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: None Required
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: None Required
AGE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Not Applicable
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND VISUAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
2. Ability to use computer.
3. Ability to proofread documents and check for accuracy.
4. Ability to lift or move boxes of supplies or forms up to 30 pounds.
OSHA EXPOSURE: Job involves possible exposure to blood, body fluids or tissues.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
1. Reports to Practice Administrator.
2. Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.