Welcome to Lahey Health Primary Care. With over 55 primary care practices in more than 30 nearby communities , our primary care physicians and care teams provide quality close to where our patients live or work. We have a team approach to patient care and have developed long-standing, mutually respectful relationships with local specialists at our affiliate hospitals to guide and support the most effective and efficient patient care. As part of the Beth Israel Lahey Health system, we now have the opportunity to care for even more individuals across eastern Massachusetts.
About the Job
As part of the practice team, this position:
- Identifies, greets, transports and/or escorts patients making the patients feel welcomed and comfortable.
- Takes vital signs (height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, respiration, temperature) and obtains patient history and medication list. Observes patient and documents and reports findings to licensed clinician and/or physician.
- Assists the nurse, physician, and/or other licensed clinician with the patient visit and care, which may include procedures such as:
- Preparing patient for visit including assistance with clothing and transferring to exam table/chair
- Setting up trays and preparing equipment, instruments and materials for the nurse and/or physician
- Acting as a chaperone and/or providing emotional support for the patient
- Explaining procedures and reviewing patient instructions
- Obtaining and labeling specimens for transport
- Assisting with wound care
- Drawing blood
- Performing EKGs
- Giving injections
- Assisting with and/or performing other tests and procedures
- Cleans and prepares the exam room or other patient areas between patients ensuring a clean, sanitized and welcoming environment.
- Sterilizes equipment.
- Maintains appropriate supplies and linen in exam/patient areas and ensures adequate stock is maintained.
- Prepares, cleans and maintains equipment, addressing issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life.
- Maximizes patient throughput to minimize wait time and improve patient satisfaction.
- Appropriately follows the chain of command and adheres to practice policies and procedures.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent required If hired after 1/1/15: also must have either: Graduate of an LPN or RN program and license within 6 months of employment or Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program or At least five (5) years of experience as a Medical Assistant
- Graduate of an accredited program and 1 year of experience as a Medical Assistant
- EMR experience
- Other Skills/Knowledge:
- Basic computer skills and good typing skills with accuracy and attention to detail
- For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the team.
- LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
If hired prior to 1/1/15, must obtain the National Registered Medical Assistant certification within the approved transition plan time frame.
- An RN or LPN license may be considered in lieu of the Medical Assistant Certification (must be maintained.)
- The Medical Assistant may be allowed time to achieve 5 years of experience as a Medical Assistant plus 6 months to obtain certification provided that as of 1/1/15 they have either:
- Nursing Assistant Certification (must be maintained)
- Completion of at least half of the requirements towards an RN degree If hired after 1/1/15, National Registration of Medical Assistant Certification or Licensed LPN or RN is required within 6 months of hire.
- Preferred: National Registration of Medical Assistant Certification upon hire
- LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support
DAYS / FULL TIME 40 HOURS / WILMINGTON
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.