Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under the general guidance of the Executive Director (and additional direction from the Division Chairs), the Administrative Director of Business Operations is responsible for the daily management of business operations for the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine (PCCM) and the Divison of Hospital Medicine (HM) across four practice locations each. The four locations for PCCM include Lahey Hospital and Medical Center in Burlington, Lahey Medical Center Peabody, Beverly Hospital, and Winchester Hospital with a total of almost 60 providers between these locations. The four locations for HM include Lahey Hospital and Medical Center in Burlington, Lahey Medical Center Peabody, Beverly Hospital, and Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester with a total of over 90 providers between these locations. In conjunction with the Medical Leadership, responsible for implementing and maintaining quality and performance standards for all facets of the practices. Responsible for the fiscal performance of the practices including developing and operating within the annual budget guidelines. Works very closely with Medical Leadership, and reports directly to the Executive Director of Hospital Based Medical Specialties.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Manages administrative staff in Burlington and Beverly, with 5 FTEs in HM and 10 FTEs in PCCM, to include one manager. Manages Pulmonary Function Testing team directly in Burlington and Peabody locations, to include two supervisors, 2 full-time practitioners, one part-time practioner, and several per diem personnel. Provide feedback, recognition, and support for the team. Evaluate training needs and coordinate ongoing staff training and education.
- Works to develop staff and handles staffing issues such as work schedules, performance improvement, disciplinary action and changes in staffing levels make recommendations for augmenting staffing levels or downsizing/restructuring. Assists with interpreting and enforcing personnel policies.
- Principle liason with all clinicians to ensure their satisfaction with the administrative and financial support of their practice. Works directly with Division Chair to address productivity or performance/behavioral issues, responds to physician complaints or concerns.
- Manages assignment of clinical providers to all practice locations and ensures all clinical shifts are covered and QGenda or AMION scheduling software reflects the most up-to-date assignments. Helps oversee and manage provider time away process.
- Develops programs and processes to insure quality patient care initiatives are met.
- Works with Division Chair to set performance expectations for all staff in conformance with LHMC, Beverly Hospital and Lahey Medical Center Peabody policies and expectations.
- Manages physician productivity by ongoing monitoring of charge submission and wRVU reporting.
- Conduct interviews and participate in hiring decision for administrative staff and PFT personnel; coordinate site orientation program for new physician and advanced practitioner providers.
- Conducts performance evaluations and administers merit salary increases in accordance with established salary budget.
- Maintain control over yearly operational budgets and capital budget needs and status. Forecast needs for personnel, supplies, equipment and training.
- Create awareness of physician group budget process, productivity/ revenue projections, and ongoing involvement in assessment of revenues and expenses. Work to minimize overtime expenses and maintain budget levels.
- Monitor the physical plant to ensure the maintenance of an appropriate environment. Identify construction, remodeling, redecorating or relocation requirements. Perform a cost assessment, vendor selection and negotiate terms/conditions of leases, construction arrangements and equipment purchases.
- Monitor staff, physician and patient satisfaction.
- Maintain contact with local community resources to develop the practice and identify growth opportunities. Suggests marketing and advertising strategies for practices. Seeks out and follows-up on opportunities to increase awareness of new physicians and practices throughout the communities served.
- Performs other tasks and projects as requested by Executive Director and Division Chairs.
- Reviews and analyzes performance data and provides reports to clinicians and Administration as appropriate.
- Incorporates Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the division and Lahey Hospital and Medical Center.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in divisional and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
- Counsels, disciplines and recommends termination of colleagues as necessary.
- Treats staff with dignity and respect.
- Works as a role model for staff by exhibiting professional and ethical behavior. Fosters a positive attitude in the department and promotes high colleague moral.
- Problem solves in a timely and diplomatic manner. Works collaboratively to improve processes within the department and organization.
- Informs senior management of any site/divisional problems. These may include but are not limited to safety, equipment, staffing, medical staff and interpersonal problems
- Participates in and successfully completes all assigned Mandatory Education.
Education: Master’s Degree or equivalent education and experience.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Strong knowledge of managerial and budgetary practices. Excellent personnel management skills and demonstrated ability to provide leadership. Strong emotional and social intelligence. Strong approach and commitment to cost containment. Skills in critical judgment and thinking. Strong project management skills. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Must be a self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision and direction. In the absence of any of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards. Must possess high potential to take on more responsibility and be ready for the possible growth of this role into a more senior position.
Experience: Minimum of five years management in an academic medical center setting or equivalent.
40 Hours / Day
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.