Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: The Performance Improvement Trauma RN Coordinator monitors and evaluates the quality of clinical care of the injured patient concurrently via the following mechanisms: issue identification, primary, secondary, and tertiary reviews, as well as multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary reviews, and performance improvement issues.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Develops the quality improvement program of the Trauma Division in accordance with American College of Surgeon Guidelines (ACSG).
- The Trauma PI Coordinator collaborates closely with the Trauma Program Nurse Director and Trauma Medical Director to review the performance and safety of the Trauma Center in its mission to evaluate issues, promote loop closure, and optimize clinical outcomes
- Monitors the quality of care provided to trauma patients (adherence to protocols, conduct of resuscitation, audit filters).
- Provides primary review of morbidity/mortality and identifies process/system measures for all trauma patients.
- Organizes and assists the Trauma Nurse Director and Trauma Medical Director with tertiary review of morbidity/mortality of all trauma patients.
- Identifies performance improvement issues through chart review and attendance at morning report.
- Identifies quality improvement projects for interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Identifies problems with trauma care and intervene when appropriate or refer problems to the appropriate individual.
- Coordinates interdisciplinary trauma quality improvement conferences for the adult trauma service.
- Inputs PI outcome data into the trauma registry.
- Records the minutes of the Adult Trauma TPOPPC and Trauma M&M Conferences.
- Identifies deficiencies impeding the maintenance of Level I trauma center standards and suggests methods for addressing these deficiencies.
- Attends resuscitations of patients triaged as Full Trauma Response, when available.
- In conjunction with the Trauma Program Medical Director and Trauma Program Nurse Director, reviews trauma cases and provides feedback re: QI issues to health care providers both within and outside of Lahey Hospital Medical Center
- Assists the Trauma Program Nurse Director in reviewing Trauma Resuscitation Audio Visual recording QI process.
- Participates in the preparation of re-verification application for American College of Surgeons trauma center verification when required.
- Coordinates communication with the state ME Office to receive autopsy reports in a timely fashion
- Collaborates with other health care providers involved in the care of trauma patients in developing protocols for the care of injured patients.
- Maintains all current trauma protocols and updates per organizational guidelines and as needed
- Monitors and assists with trauma patient transfers.
- Monitors adherence to the trauma transfer protocol process
- Assist in providing feedback to transferring hospital staff and physicians as well as EMS
- Serves as a resource person to the staff caring for the injured trauma patient.
- Collaborates with the Surgical teams, Social Work Service, rehabilitation and medical staff, on issues related to trauma patient care
- Assists with Trauma Service Nurse Director in coordinating and executing interdisciplinary educational programs for health care professions regarding care of the injured patient.
- Assists in coordinating Advanced Trauma Life Support
- Assists in coordinating Trauma Nursing Core Course
- Maintains current knowledge of “Resources for Optimal Care of the Injured Patient 2014”
- Performs other similar job and related duties as required or directed.
Licensure, Certification, Registration:
Current Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registered Nurse License.
Trauma Certified Registered Nurse Certification within One year of hire
Basic Life Support (BLS)
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Must possess the skills to identify and implement opportunities for process improvement within the trauma patient population.
- Strong data analytic skills.
- Accuracy and thoroughness; ability to work independently
- Must have demonstrated clinical competence in nursing practice.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities.
- Ability to work collaboratively with nurses, physicians, EMS and administrative colleagues.
- Excellent written and verbal Communication skill.
- Excellent computer skill required: EXCEL, PPT, and Word
- Attendance within six months of hire Society of Trauma Nurses: TOPIC course.
- Successful Completion Trauma Nursing Core Course, Instructor Status preferredExperience:
- BSN degree required. Master's degree strongly preferred.
- License Registered Nurse required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Trauma experience and/or emergency experience.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.