Welcome to Beth Israel Lahey Health. We are a new health care system that brings together academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, community and specialty hospitals, more than 4,000 physicians and 35,000 employees in a shared mission to expand access to great care and advance the science and practice of medicine through groundbreaking research and education.
About the Job
This leadership role is responsible for defining, managing and providing strategic direction for the management of Meditech electronic health records (EHR) systems and applications. This includes assessing the development of health information technology infrastructure including EHR applications for community hospitals (Meditech), and other related personal health records, and health information exchanges.
This role evaluates, develops, and recommends the long-term strategy and innovation opportunities for the health information systems specific to the affiliated community hospitals. This role also coordinates with the other EHR leaders to make data accessible and compatible with other related systems, including technical aspects of EHR system integration.
As a member of the IT senior leadership team, the role contributes to the development and execution of the enterprise-wide IT strategy and ensures its alignment with the enterprise's business strategy and the delivery of capabilities required to achieve business success.
In addition to the functional leadership responsibilities defined above, additional leadership functions and roles may be assigned including (a) Business Relationship Manager (BRM): leader assigned to specific entities or business units within the system, the BRM acts as a liaison between IT and the senior leadership at the hospital(s) or business unit(s) assigned to foster executive level communication and collaboration in service of the IT business goals and (b) specific vendor management to facilitate and maintain vendor relationships, contracts, purchases and standards.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Sets the mission and vision of overall health information technology application management to foster a business-oriented culture and mindset driven by continual service improvement techniques. Acts as a champion with the responsibility of communicating EHR goals to clinical staff leaders.
- Leads the development of strategic EHR applications and related solutions that fit the needs of community hospitals affiliated with the organization. Provides strategic direction and oversight for the design, development, operation and support of EHR systems that fulfill the needs of the business.
- Develops a long-term strategic vision for areas of responsibility, taking into account best practices in the field and changing organizational needs.
- Leads the development of strategic architecture for innovation by implementing and maintaining master data schemas across the enterprise to support EHR applications, data warehousing, and related health data initiatives. Leads a team of developers from ideation to proof of concept; mentors health information technology developers to brainstorm ideas for enabling safe and affordable care using off the shelf technology.
- Works with the senior IT leadership team on the service portfolio and governance required to prioritize resources. Acts as a trusted advisor and builds and maintains relationships with other IT leaders and business executives to develop a clear understanding of business needs; ensures cost-effective delivery of services to meet those needs and is able to respond with agility to changing business priorities.
- Manages Meditech analytics and dashboards. Customizes Meditech functionality and maps algorithms for predictive analytics to BILH workflow to enable usability for clinicians.
- Establishes key service delivery performance metrics and service level agreements and identifies areas for performance improvement through infrastructure changes. Directs the development of large-scale EHR application sourcing strategy and provides executive oversight for strategic vendor and partner relationship management.
- Supports EHR application integration architecture through innovation efforts by testing new solutions for application interoperability and application functional enhancements. Participates in the assessment of external and internal technology capabilities required to achieve desired competitive positioning.
- Develops and controls the annual operating and capital expenditure budget for EHR applications (Meditech) to ensure it is consistent with overall strategic objectives of IT and the organization and is within plan. Monitors all functions of department ensuring services are in compliance with professional standards, state and federal regulatory requirements.
- Works with HR and the EHR leadership teams to develop leading-edge and innovative solutions for the recruitment, development and retention of the health information technology developers, while forecasting future skill requirements for the organization. Provides leadership, coaching and direction to the EHR leadership team and staff. Works with the senior EHR leadership to provide education and trainings to the staff for well implemented large-scale EHR systems.
- Serves on EHR planning and policymaking committees; drives the development of enterprise technology standards, governance processes and performance metrics to ensure delivery of value to the enterprise.
- Additional leadership functions and roles may be assigned including but not limited to: (1) Business Relationship Manager (BRM): Leader assigned to specific hospital entity and/or business unit within the system, the BRM acts as a liaison between IT and the senior leadership at the hospital(s) and/or business unit(s) assigned to foster communication and collaboration in service of the IT business goals. (2) Management of the applicable Cyber Security vendors, facilitate and maintain vendor relationships, contracts, purchases and standards in support of the strategic objectives of IT and the organization.
Preferred Leadership Competencies:
Coaching and Developing Others
Providing feedback, instruction, and developmental guidance to help others excel in their current or future job responsibilities; planning and supporting the development of individual skills and abilities.
Translating strategic priorities into operational reality; aligning communication, accountabilities, resource capabilities, internal processes, and ongoing measurement systems to ensure that strategic priorities yield measurable and sustainable results.
Establishing and sustaining trusting relationships by accurately perceiving and interpreting one’s own and others’ emotions and behavior in the context of the political environment; leveraging insights to effectively manage one’s own responses and reactions.
Identifying and driving organizational and cultural changes needed to adapt strategically to changing market demands, technology, and internal initiatives; catalyzing new approaches to improve results by transforming organizational culture, systems, or products/services.
Systems Thinking/ Setting Healthcare Business Strategy
Looks beyond the immediate by establishing and committing to a long-term business direction after considering clinical and financial data, resources, market drivers, and organizational values; anticipating and responding to shifts within the market, technology, or policy environment that influence the delivery, management, and financing of healthcare.
Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or other related field, and/or equivalent work experience.
Licensure, Certification & Registration:
Fifteen (15) or more years of relevant technical and business experience required.
Five (5) to seven (7) years of leadership / management experience, required.
Preferably five (5) or more years of experience in large, cross-functional teams influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders effectively across the organization and within complex contexts.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, organization design and development.
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
Experience or demonstrated capability in leading IT transformational initiatives in complex and dynamic environments preferred.
Dept/Unit Specific Skills:
Deep technical knowledge in Meditech EHR Applications.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.