Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
The Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
Outpatient Transcatheter Valve Replacement (TAVR) Clinic and
Outpatient Cardiovascular Medicine Clinic
The Division of Cardiovascular Medicine at Lahey Hospital and Medical Center is seeking an experienced Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant to join our team. Lahey Hospital and Medical Center is a nationally recognized 345 bed tertiary care hospital located in the northern suburbs of Boston, MA.
Under the direction of an Interventional Cardiologist and within established departmental practice guidelines, the Advanced Practitioner is responsible for performing a variety of duties.
The Advanced Practitioner will facilitate seamless patient care from referral through post-procedural follow up for Cardiology and TAVR patients. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team of cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons.
These duties include, but are not limited to:
Cardiovascular Medicine Responsibilities Include:
- Patient assessment and care in the outpatient setting
- History and Physical examinations
- Ensuring orders/labs/tests are completed and checked
- Relevant data entry into TAVR registries
- Reliably and accurately interpret CXRs, CT Scans, EKGs, and Laboratory results
- Coordinate follow-up appointments for patients
- Write admission orders for patients being admitted from the outpatient clinic
- Timely triage and response to outpatient phone calls
- Works collaboratively with other Advanced Practitioners in the Clinic
- Has flexibility with scheduling to cover other providers Earned Time
Transcatheter Valve Replacement Responsibilities Include:
- Manage expectations, gather prior patient medical records, appropriateness of referral, timelines, confirm a plan and follow up
- Patient Contact- Establish contact and build rapport, explain to the patient they may be a candidate but further workup required, answer questions, review timeline and manage expectations, respect patient preferences , provide written information. Conducting patient triage.
- Diagnostic Workup- Determine which screening tests are needed, help coordinate insurance authorizations, scheduling, assist patient with navigating departments
- Pre-Clinic Diagnostic Testing- Transthoracic echocardiogram, CT structural heart and CTA of abdomen and pelvis, minimum of spirometry with ABGs, full PFTs if underlying pulmonary disease, lab work if none current
- Clinic Visit- Facilitate a team approach, perform frailty assessments, review studies, determine operability vs. inoperability, make clinical decisions and plans, patient and family education, send the patient home with a clear plan , follow up with the referring provider
- Additional Diagnostic Tests- As determined to be necessary in the clinic visit- schedule cardiac catheter with possible PCI or BAV, Schedule TEE
- Notify all stakeholders-Notify valve company for clinical support during cases
- Perioperative Procedure- Discuss what to expect, review advanced directives and code status, collect data for the registry, keep family up to date, post-op daily rounding. Collect data for the Society of Thoracic Surgeons/American College of Cardiology Transcatheter Valve Therapy registry (CMS mandated) and participate in quality initiatives.
- Post Procedure- Set realistic expectations about recovery for symptoms, quality of life, functional status, meds, resume care with primary cardiologist, weekly phone follow up until stable, one month valve clinic follow up, follow up with referring MD
- Coordinate the care of the TAVR patients working in a team-based approach with all members of the Team. Including schedulers, nurses, vendors, physicians and surgeons.
- Responsible for tracking data on outcomes and presenting information.
- Graduate from an accredited NP or PA program
- Must have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in the field of Cardiology and be skilled in the care and management of pre, intra and post procedural patients.
- Licensure in the state of Massachusetts
- Current BCLS or ACLS certification
- Ability to work collaboratively in a high acuity environment
The successful candidate must be able to interact positively with all members of a multidisciplinary care team, patients and their families and possess the emotional intelligence to work collaboratively in a fast paced, high-acuity environment where quality and caring come first.
Qualified Candidates please contact:
Renee Castro, AP Recruiter