Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
The Technologist Aide (tech aide) in Diagnostic Radiology will assist the Registered Technologist in the performance of their duties. This will include, but not be limited to, the following: room preparation and cleaning; transport of patients; answering phones; transfer of information; transfer of patient from stretcher or wheelchair to table; and other duties with which the technologist requires assistance in order to work more effectively and efficiently.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Accurately prepares room and patient for procedure, assuring all needed exam equipment is available prior to the start of the exam.
- Collect information by interview from the patient, family or significant other and other health care providers.
- Completes assessments by utilizing the medical record and radiology requisition(s) or verbal orders to ensure appropriateness of procedures ordered.
- Ensures effective interaction with patient by utilizing an empathetic approach.
- Ensures that patients are able to ambulate on their own when necessary or, if not, they are given the proper supervision and assistance.
- Establishes appropriate and effective communication with patient and/or family member in order to complete the procedure.
- Implements departmental and facility's standard by following the established policies and procedures.
- Initiates applicable 'incident reports' by end of shift and reports incomplete and incorrect examination to ensure that the proper patient charges and continuity of care.
- Is available and accessible to the patient.
- Keeps patient and family members informed of the progress and/or delays with patient's procedure.
- Makes an accurate assessment of the patient's condition/status, thus ensuring appropriateness of procedure ordered.
- Manages and communicates information through various processes, which include but are not limited to the following: computers; telephone/paging systems. Provide thorough and accurate information on the film or notepad such as:
a. Correct patient identification information
b. Correct requisition
c. Correct image annotation
d. Technologist initials
- Monitors the patient continuously when they are having exams that include contrast injections.
- Must effectively coordinate care with other members of the healthcare team to ensure optimal patient care.
- Notifies appropriate supervisory personnel of shortages of supplies, unusual problems or situations within the department, messages from other departments or nuclear medicine staff and/or any patient scheduling.
- Proactively and accurately performs additional job functions at designated secondary site.
- Properly follows established policies and procedures for reporting and documenting equipment problems.
- Properly identifies oneself and properly identifies patient prior to the start of a procedure as established by departmental policies and procedures.
- Provide thorough and accurate documentation regarding adverse reactions to drugs/contrast utilizing established documentation forms and forwards forms to appropriate personnel.
- Provides thorough and accurate documentation in the Medical Record of the radiopharmaceutical and/or pharmaceutical doses given to the patient.
- Quality Control: the technologist aide will assist in:
a. The accurate performance of QC on cameras, dose calibrators and uptake probe as assigned.
b. Monitor results and take corrective action or initiate repairs as appropriate.
- Radiation Safety:
a. Practices established radiation protection and safety protocols for self, staff and patients with 100% accuracy.
b. Wears film badge(s) as required.
c. Performs radiation surveys and wipe tests when assigned and documents results with 100% accuracy.
d. Checks all doses for the correct labeling and content prior to injection.
e. Appropriately disposes of radioactive waste and correctly documents its' disposition.
- Readily and willingly contributes to the team approach, in order to provide the best possible patient care and service.
- Reports all safety hazards that could harm patients, visitors or other hospital employees to appropriate supervisors immediately at all times.
- SynTrac Documentation: The technologist aide will assist in data entry into the computer with 100% accuracy, 100% of the time.
- Upon completion of procedure properly cleans and organizes room and performs any necessary cleaning of equipment as established by departmental policies and procedures standards.
- Uses the proper procedure to page for emergency help within the Radiology Department.
- Utilizes the proper procedure for emergency codes, such as Code 99 and Code Red.
- Organizational Requirements:
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality Policy.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
- This position requires moving about on foot throughout the department and hospital and from station to station. Position also requires using upper extremities to exert force in order to push, pull or drag equipment and/or transport patients. Position also requires frequent bending, stooping and kneeling to position patients.
Education: High school graduate or equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Good interpersonal skills and patient care skills required.
Experience: Previous patient care or customer service work is a plus, but OJT is available.
16 Hours / Night
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.