Location: Beverly, MA
Job ID: 168583-1A
Date Posted: May 27, 2022
Category: Clinical Support
Welcome to Lahey Health Primary Care. With over 55 primary care practices in more than 30 nearby communities , our primary care physicians and care teams provide quality close to where our patients live or work. We have a team approach to patient care and have developed long-standing, mutually respectful relationships with local specialists at our affiliate hospitals to guide and support the most effective and efficient patient care. As part of the Beth Israel Lahey Health system, we now have the opportunity to care for even more individuals across eastern Massachusetts.
About the Job
Under the general supervision of the Director of Site Operations, Practice Development Operations Manager or Site Manager provides direct and indirect care to a specified group of patients in a variety of healthcare settings. Practice Assistants work in collaboration with the physician(s), or other health care provider(s), other ambulatory support staff within the department, and with other disciplines, to support patient care.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: including but not limited to:
Clinical Considerations and Decision Making: Ways in which Practice Assistants come to understand the problems, issues or concerns of patients/families, to attend to relevant/critical information and to respond in concerned and involved ways.
1. Accountable for providing safe patient care by demonstrating organizational skills that maintain and coordinate safe delivery of quality care for assigned patients/families.
2. Participates in a culturally competent plan of care that identifies patient problems, expected outcomes, and addresses preventative measures.
3. Delivers care that is specific to the age of the patient
4. Cares for patients as delegated by the provider, RN or LPN
5. Contributes information provided by the patient or family for the assessment of health status
6. Evaluates outcomes of interventions within their scope and follows directions on a modified plan of care
7. Provides patient care by:
Assisting with examinations and procedures
Administering treatments as ordered by the provider
Utilizing and transporting equipment
Providing necessary physical care to appropriate patient populations
Collaborative Relationship: Collaborates, cooperates, and communicates with other health care personnel to ensure quality and continuity of care.
1. Establishes collaborative relationships with nurses, physicians, other colleagues, patients and families.
2. Participates in and supports the educational plan for patient and family.
3. Supports Primary Care’s commitment to community based activities both within the Lahey Health community and beyond.
Clinical Guidance: The Practice Assistant, within the scope of his/her practice, is responsible for the nature and quality of care they provide for patients.
1. Demonstrates appropriate behavior by adhering to unit policies and procedures and practice guidelines specific to the setting.
2. Demonstrates the ability to provide and maintain patient safety in the environment of care
3. Demonstrates skills as a responsive team member.
4. Demonstrates ability to fulfill role in Regulatory compliance and readiness.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Achieves and maintains Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through American Heart Association, according to departmental standards (within 90 days of date of hire)
2. Organizes and prioritizes daily work to ensure patient’s needs are met and provider schedules run efficiently.
3. Monitors patient flow, escorts patients to the appropriate room, accurately obtains patient identification, allergy history, domestic abuse screening, obtains and records vital signs, per departmental standards and documents for entry into an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) or on appropriate forms.
4. Answers and transfers calls in accordance with Primary Care Guidelines. Takes accurate messages and relays the information to the appropriate staff, per established site/department protocol. Follows through to ensure that issues identified have been resolved. Identifies patients requiring immediate attention and refers them to the appropriate personnel.
5. Maintains exam rooms by monitoring and replenishing supplies and performing routine housekeeping and disposal and handling of hazardous waste. Maintain inventory of medical supplies and orders medical supplies as authorized by Site/assigned Manager, Supervisor or Site Coordinator.
6. Documents all pertinent information for entry into an EMR. Accurately transcribes provider orders according to policy.*
7. Notifies provider with any abnormal vital signs, elevated pain scores or safety concerns. Observes and reports any abnormal symptoms or behavior to appropriate clinical staff member.
8. Communicates all appropriate information prior to break, lunch or change of shift, to necessary personnel to ensure continuity of care.
9. Prepares patient for the appointment based upon the diagnosis, procedure and/or department protocols. Includes proper patient attire (gowns/shorts etc), proper pre-visit tests completed, and proper set-ups for the procedure to be performed etc.
10. Maintains confidentiality and patient rights in interactions with the patient/family and other health care workers.
11. Respects the values (religious/spiritual, ethnic, cultural) of the patient and family.
12. Perform electrocardiograms, blood pressures, spirometries and vision and hearing testing according to departmental standards.
13. Utilizes appropriate technique in room preparation and while assisting with procedures/exams.
14. Performs testing and specimen collection (including labeling and processing). Performs waived testing, result documentation and Quality Controls per established laboratory procedure.
15. Enters required information for prescription refills properly through EMR using defined protocol.
16. Provides and reviews appropriate instructions to patients regarding any diagnostic test and procedure. Provides patient with written educational material, including diagnostic preparations, as necessary. Document that patient instructions were given, as well as patient’s response.
17. Assists in performing departmental procedures.
18. Use electronic system to schedule x-ray, mammography or laboratory appointments.
19. Performs and/or assists with the admission and transfer process.
20. Monitors and takes action on work queues as trained/assigned.
21. Meets expectations and maintains competencies of new hire orientation skills checklist, annual competency verification and participates in education programs provided.
22. Orients staff members and others to the department as requested.
23. Is alert to Quality Assurance and CQI issues as well as to unsafe working conditions. Notifies manager of concerns. Participates in unit based QI activities and is familiar with unit measurement data.
24. Provide back-up coverage for the front office staff, including booking appointments, telephone coverage and receptionist duties according to departmental standards. Supports activities around the work queue.
1. Proficiently utilizes EMR to enter and retrieve patient information.
2. Ensures that all necessary information and materials are present for provider prior to patient visit.
3. Receives and communicates information through various processes, including (but not limited to) use of computers, Intranet, e-mail, telephone system, scan and fax.
4. Ensures that all appropriate equipment is maintained in good working order and that adequate supplies are available for patient procedure/visit. Ensure appropriate levels of supplies and inventory for department.
5. Follows department standards for billing processes.
6. Facilitates patient access by working with the department and the registration and scheduling staff to coordinate changes in the provider schedules. May assist in work related to referrals and obtaining prior authorizations. Collaborates with provider and support team to coordinate and incorporate: same day adds, work-ins, emergency procedures, sick calls or provider initiated cancellations. Advise providers of schedule changes or add-ons.
Education: 1. High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Current Assessment Based Recognition in Order Entry (ABR-OE) credential through the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) (obtains within 90 days of employment)
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through American Heart Association, according to departmental standards (within 90 days of date of hire)
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Strong interpersonal and customer service skills required to communicate with patients, family members, physicians and other health care providers, as well as other colleagues. Knowledge of medical terminology. Must possess strong problem solving abilities and analytical skills to ensure patient’s needs are met. Must possess basic computer skills to input and retrieve clinical information, as well as patient registration and appointment information. Utilizes critical thinking and good judgment in performance of tasks. Must possess good organizational skills and the ability to multitask and to prioritize daily assignments to ensure smooth work flow
Experience: 2 years working in the Health Care Field
DAYS / FULL TIME / 40 HOURS / BEVERLY
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.