Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under the direction of Nursing leadership, in partnership with colleagues from all departments, and in compliance with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center (LHMC) policies and procedures, the Director is responsible for the organizing, planning, directing, developing, maintaining and evaluating of the interpreter services department and program. This includes continuous performance improvement, and ongoing operational and financial analysis and management of the Interpreter Services department for Lahey Hospital and Medical Center, inclusive of the main campus in Burlington, satellites in Lexington and Peabody, and all Community Group Practice locations. As a member of the leadership team, works collaboratively to ensure the financial, quality, service, and human resource goals of the medical center are being achieved.
The Interpreter Services Department is a critical component of providing access to care and clinical/financial information to our increasingly culturally and linguistically diverse community.
The Director focuses in constant change-management, innovation to move the organization in new directions, piloting new and reframed initiatives with successful ideas in the service of diversity and inclusion, with vision for change and in collaboration with other key departments. Developing and implementing diversity plans and strategies as a process of building systems, capacity and new behaviors, education and training to lessen risks and increase quality of care, while understanding the political challenges and the need to align with the competing interests of multiple parties.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Develops an overall vision, strategy and set of priorities for the Interpreter Services department based on a comprehensive understanding of: a) community need, b) industry best practices and innovation, and c) regulatory requirements. Maintains close communication with community groups and leaders, industry colleagues, and federal/state/other regulatory developments in order to assure the most informed perspective contributing to the continuous development and improvement of the department.
- Provides new updates on regulations/ federal laws, as well as new trends in leading organizations countrywide, to discuss a number of priorities that include a focus in both, contemporary and classical issues associated with the ever-evolving diversity of the organization. Support in discussing the complexity of building diverse linguistic and cultural capabilities into the hospital and system.
- Assures the availability and analysis of data to create a fact based understanding of the needs and opportunities for department service provision. Provides guidance and leadership to other LHMC departments and personnel (Finance, IT, Telecommunications) in order to assure that the department is supported with the most up to date systems and analytics.
- Continuously develops, monitors, and evaluates program enhancements to assure highest quality service and full compliance with LHMC policies, and JCAHO, CMS, and Ma DPH requirements.
- Enhance the diversity and inclusion abilities of clinicians by providing the knowledge through number of cultures, languages, and gender identity of patients they care for in the organization.
- Infuse cultural diversity into the clinical experience, with the support of interpreters and inserted training within any training/lecture/workshop/mandatory education.
- Developing diversity metrics and processes to asses diversity, equity and inclusion efforts.
- Maintains close communication with community groups and leaders, industry colleagues, and federal/state/other regulatory developments in order to assure the most informed perspective that contribute to long term programs that will impact the communities representing the major groups of patients of the organization, by ethnicity, race, social demographics, and identity.
- Utilizing our patients data as a source to prioritize on the communities where to create new health and education programs.
- Plans the annual capital and operating budgets in order to meet current need, and to position the department for future growth. Endeavors to assure that required resources are available to provide the most effective and culturally/linguistically appropriate health care services to patients and families, as well as to support clinician members of the care delivery team. Monitors department financial performance and conducts monthly variance analyses – updating nursing leadership of the department’s financial performance and recommending corrective action and improvement as indicated to achieve current and future objectives.
- Develops the staffing plan for the department. Oversees all hiring and personnel management, including the administration of oral and written competency assessments as part of the hiring process. This encompasses the administrative support required to assure the smooth and effective operation of the department, as well as the delivery of the highest quality interpretation and translation services. Defines performance standards and assures that all personnel are trained and supported to achieve these metrics. Conducts all performance reviews and annual performance appraisals. Provides counseling and supervision to all personnel, and addresses performance matters in a thoughtful and effective manner – in consultation with Human Resources and nursing leadership. Assures all personnel files are up to date and stored appropriately.
- Reviews, negotiates and manages vendor contracts to assure the provision of the most cost effective and professional services to patients and families. Assures compliance with all LHMC and department expectations – including day to day operating requirements and regulatory requirements.
- Plans, coordinates and documents professional training and educational programs for all LHMC personnel. Develops, provides, and evaluates opportunities for both formal and informal training to promote and support the attitudes, behaviors, knowledge, and skills necessary for staff members to work respectfully and effectively with patients and each other in a culturally diverse work environment. Creates and delivers module on Interpreter Services Department for all Lahey colleagues during New Colleague Orientation and Mandatory Education. Assures department personnel have completed all screening, training and education to assure the provision of highest quality interpretation and translation services. In partnership with leaders of other departments, develops and provides education programs for LHMC personnel to assure understanding of the Interpreter Services department, its role in providing services to patients and families, and their role in accessing interpretation and translation services to all patients and families. This will include participation in department staff meetings and special meetings with individual colleagues.
- Assures the availability of 24/7 interpretation services to LHMC operations as appropriate. Ensures coverage of the emergency pager of the department and provides medical interpreter services emergency situations when necessary.
- Incorporates LHMC Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all LHMC Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and LHMC.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
- Education: Bachelors Degree preferred or equivalent education and experience. Certification in Medical Interpreting and National Certification.
- Licensure, Certification, Registration: None.
- Skills: Proficiency in oral and written communications. Knowledge of governmental and health care policies as they pertain to interpretive services. Ability to establish and maintain formal documentation systems. Sufficient knowledge and abilities to utilize personal computers with various hardware and software applications.
- Experience: Minimum of three years experience providing oral and written translation services, with at least one year of experience in a health care setting. Prior experience in a supervisory or managerial position and/or experience in program development and implementation required.
40 Hours / Day
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.