Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
The Risk Manager and Patient Safety Specialist manages the review, investigation and reporting of safety events/incidents/occurrences with potential impact on patient safety and hospital liability in accordance with established hospital, regulatory, and accreditation procedures, guidelines and criteria. The Risk Management and Patient Safety Specialist will develop external and internal relationships to ensure compliance with applicable regulations. This individual will collaborate with Lahey Clinic colleagues to formulate analyses, and appropriate responses and follow up actions. This individual will be responsible to maintain coding, tracking and event data in the electronic safety reporting system, prepare periodic reports and analyses and presents to internal and external audiences. The individual will be required to provide professional support and education for the Lahey Hospital and Medical Center wide risk management and patient safety related activities, and manage regulatory reporting and facilitates regulatory investigations. The Risk Manager and Patient Safety Specialist plays an integral role in regulatory and accreditation readiness by assisting with the implementation of the patient Care Assessment Plan and the Quality Improvement Plan consistent with Board of Trustee goals and regulatory and standard setting agencies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Responsible for participating in the PCA, Peer and Process Review, and Professional Affairs Committees under the direction of the Director of Risk Management and Patient Safety and the applicable Chair.
- Responsible for coordinating the clinical and systems investigation, analyses, of safety events, occurrences, and quality complaints that are further reviewed through these committees. Conducts interviews of clinical and non clinical colleagues involved in events; accesses clinical information via medical record and on line information systems.
- Responsible for coordinating the Root Cause Analysis process for high level safety events as deemed appropriate by the Director of Risk Management and Patient Safety, the Patient Safety Officer and the Chief Quality Officer.
- Maintains safety reporting system, tracking and evaluating safety events/occurrence data. Triages reports, verifies and corrects data entry of information in safety reports and prepares periodic reports for clinical leaders and regulatory agencies according to established criteria.
- In conjunction with Director of Risk Management and Patient Safety maintains communication, and provides timely information and collaboration with BILH General Counsel. ,
- Collaborates with the LHMC Claims Department, and Controlled Risk Insurance Company (CRICO) when an untoward event occurs, that causes harm to the patient. Liaison with defense counsel and their staff for information needs, scheduling and inquiries.
- Support membership in the Academic Medical Center Patient Safety Organization (AMC PSO) as part of LHMC institutional goals to improve quality and patient safety. Submit documents to the Patient Safety Evaluation System at the direction of the Director of Risk Management and Patient Safety, the Patient Safety Officer and the Chief Quality Officer.
- Participates in on-site visits from accreditation and regulatory agencies and collaborates with clinical and administrative leaders to develop and execute corrective action plans as identified by regulatory investigation.
- Provides consultation and education for LHMC colleagues. Advises on risk management and patient safety issues, requirements and strategies and works with departments to evaluate and improve internal processes and procedures.
- Responsible for assisting physicians and colleagues in a proactive reaction to negative outcomes by instructing in communication style, customer service responsiveness; and by managing proactive communication plans with patients and their families during the investigation of unexpected outcomes and complaints.
- Maintains knowledge of current professional industry, legislative, insurance, and regulatory trends and practices through participation in relevant professional organizations and attendance at conferences and other relevant continuing education programs.
- Works as a dynamic member of the Risk Management and Patient Safety team, sharing knowledge, expertise, and workload. Collaborates with members of the Quality Improvement and Patient Liaison Department.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
- Advanced knowledge of clinical practices typically acquired by attaining a Master’s degree in nursing or related field
Licensure, Certification, Registration:
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Ability to analyze complex clinical and organizational events.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements, experience facilitating regulatory investigations, and passion for working in a High Reliability Organization.
- Strong knowledge of Risk Management principles typically acquired by ASHRM or CPHRM certification
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in Quality Improvement and Patient Safety.
- Organizational skills to facilitate small task forces for problem investigation, development of corrective action plans, provide guidance and support to clinical and administrative leaders implement corrective action steps.
- Interpersonal skills to must effectively communicate, collaborate and work through complex and sensitive situations with individuals and groups at all levels of hospital staff and administration
- Ability to utilize common business and clinical software including but not limited to Microsoft office, google, Epic.
- High level skills in oral and written communication.
- Bachelor’s degree, Masters preferred, previous clinical practice or Risk Management experience preferred.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.