Location: Woburn, MA
Job ID: 167682-1A
Date Posted: May 12, 2021
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to Hospital’s mission by taking the lead regarding the scheduling functions of the center. This administrative staff position will have an impact on patient satisfaction by orchestrating scheduling and rescheduling of patients ensuring interactions and efforts are efficient, courteous and empathetic manner, juggling patient needs and requests with physicians’ availability. This position will also impact employee satisfaction by ensuring the team operates like that of an employer of choice.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Required: Two (2) years medical practice or healthcare administrative support experience.
· A demonstrated ability to lead
· EMR experience
· Medical billing experience
· Strong computer skills, including simple word processing, spreadsheets and
database usage; good typing skills with accuracy and attention to detail.
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate
effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the team.
· Able to problem solve complex scheduling situations.
· Able to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously in a calm, professional manner.
· Excellent customer service skills
· The ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision and direction.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
On-call Requirement: N/A
Schedule Requirements: Schedule may vary based on center and/or physicians’ needs.
Travel Requirements: N/A
· Reports to the Office Coordinator
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others. Directs the work of others.
As part of the outpatient setting team, this position functions in the dual capacity of:
Oversees scheduling operations, assigning functions to optimize efficiency, ensuring staff are operating within their job expectations. (lead)
· Acts as the primary contact for physicians to report scheduling changes and requests. Handles escalated or urgent issues/requests from Physicians.
· Orchestrates staff’s efforts when physician schedule changes or other reasons necessitate the need to reschedule patient appointments. Fostering a commitment to maintain patient satisfaction with cordial and timely phone, or alternative, contact and sensitivity to the request to reschedule.
Recognizes the many operational implications of scheduling changes and communicates within administrative team to facilitate changes.
Communicates with the department leadership team when making scheduling decisions that have clinical staffing and/or budget impact. Delegates and communicates scheduling issues so impacted functions can be adjust accordingly to facilitate smooth operational flow and optimal patient care. (Lead)
Acts as a knowledgeable resource of the scheduling/rescheduling process and physician schedules and preferences. Identifies possible solutions to complex scheduling conflicts/requests.
Monitors call volume and response time and adjusts operations accordingly to optimize patient satisfaction and optimize productivity.
Runs patient schedule reports and performs quality reviews to ensure patient’s appointment sequences and time allocations are appropriate.
Works collaboratively with the department leaders in the planning and implementing of operations and performance improvement initiatives for the department. Represents the scheduling processes in departmental projects.
In the absence of the Office Coordinator, assists the Manager by providing guidance and direction to all administrative staff and in consultation with the Manager makes decisions that will impact administrative operations to facilitate clinic/department flow and optimal patient care. (some lead like element)
Demonstrates expertise in the assigned area and fosters a climate of professional excellence.
Troubleshoots operational issues and customer service calls and complaints. Follows the proper chain of command to resolve concerns, addressing the short term issue and recommending and/or working towards long-term resolution and improvements with leadership team.
· Collaborates with physicians, physician practices, other members of the healthcare team and other Winchester Hospital departments, to try to streamline scheduling issues so to improve patient satisfaction, physician satisfaction and operational efficiency.
Provides performance feedback to scheduling staff directly thus fostering a culture of continuous learning and improvement. Keeps the Office Coordinator informed of performance issues and opportunities as appropriate. Addresses safety and patient care related concerns promptly. Gives input into the performance evaluation process, especially as it relates to scheduling related functions.
Precepts and mentors staff so to expand their knowledge and competence in operations and processes.
Ensures a safe working environment by addressing maintenance, housekeeping and physical plant problems within defined scope of authority. Follows up with the call center.
Monitors administrative supply levels to ensure continual operations and fiscally responsible use. Advises Office Coordinator of need to reorder supplies for the department.
Center Administrative Support
· Answers all incoming phone calls and routes to appropriate person. Takes clear
messages for providers or other department staff. Handles routine requests for information. Ensures that emergent messages are handled per department protocols.
Schedules patient appointments and collects pre-registration information at the time of
scheduling. Collects timely and accurate demographic and insurance information. Obtains referrals for specialty care, as needed.
· Greets patients and others timely and in a manner that is respectful and empathetic.
· Registers patients, verifies health insurance coverage and demographic information. Collects co-payments, issues receipts, and obtains signatures for necessary forms.
· Maintains and releases medical records per facility protocols. Pulls and files medical records for scheduled patient and for requests by providers and other staff.
· Answers common, non-clinical/complex questions and escalates questions as appropriate. Provides general information regarding the department within scope of responsibility.
· Maintains provider appointment schedules and advises providers of changes throughout the day.
· Checks patients out.
? Schedules diagnostic and specialty appointments as directed by the provider. Completes referrals and preauthorizations per healthcare payor and department protocols.
· Receives and distributes mail per office protocols.
· Appropriately follows the chain of command and adheres to department policies and procedures.
· Communicates effectively with the team utilizing established handoff procedures. Gives and accepts respectful feedback to enhance teamwork.
· Maximizes patient throughput to minimize wait time and improve patient satisfaction.
· Maintains a clean and organized work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety.
Full time, 40 hours
Beth Israel Lahey Health is dedicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.