Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 167606-1A
Date Posted: May 13, 2022
Category: Clinical Support
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Working under the direction of a nurse, this clinical staff position contributes to the Hospital’s mission by assisting the team in preparing rooms and equipment and assists with patient care to facilitate an orderly, efficient and safe clinical environment. Utilizes compassion, empathy, and respect to collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team to achieve expected outcomes, specifically this position will have a direct impact on reducing patient harm by ensuring the equipment and scopes are properly cleaned and disinfected.
· High School Diploma or equivalent
· Completion of a Certified Nurse’s Assistant course
· Nursing Student with two completed clinical rotations
Required: Phlebotomy, EKG or Nursing Assistant
Preferred: ACU or Medical/Surgical
· Basic computer skills
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
Preferred: Certification Nursing Assistant
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Infant, Children, Adolescent, Adult and Geriatric
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Schedule requirements: Schedule and hours may vary based on departments’ needs and fluctuating census.
Travel requirements: May be scheduled or rotated between sites.
· Reports to Nurse Manager.
· Works under the direction of a nurse.
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Patient Care Services team, this position:
· Provides quality and safe patient care under the direction of a nurse.
· Provides knowledge of reprocessing scopes and scope washing machines, cleans, disinfects and maintains endoscopic equipment
· Independently performs turn over of procedure rooms (remove used scopes; changing over suction & O2 tubing; performs terminal cleaning of equipment, setting up room case dependant, inspects equipment and Endosoft to insure proper functioning) ensures expedient turnaround time in a neat environment.
· Facilitates patients in and out of procedure room;
o Obtain vital signs
o Record findings
o Reports abnormal issues to nurse
o Secures belongings
o Removes IVs
o Dresses wounds
o Cleans and makes stretchers to expedite turnover
o Maintains appropriate supplies for each patient care area, addressing inventory issues in a timely manner and recommending appropriate par levels
o Coordinates work schedule with departmental supervisor or designee to provide coverage
o Communicates effectively with the healthcare team utilizing established handoff procedures. Gives and accepts respectful feedback to enhance teamwork
o Minimizes preventable harm events and consistently executes the infection control protocols. Adheres to quality and safety guidelines and communicates near-miss or potential risks utilizing performance improvement methodologies
o Responds to equipment issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life
o Maximizes patient throughput to minimize operational delays
· Assists physician at hospital site with procedures (minor surgery; bone marrow aspiration; lumbar puncture)
· Performs glucometer point of care testing
· At the beginning of day checks needle boxes, restocks linen, gloves and IV supplies, cleans and prepares stretchers
· Draws blood, performs EKGs and performs glucometer point of care testing.
· Restocks procedure rooms at end of day for off site
· Cleans conference room at end of day for off site
Per diem, as needed
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.