Location: Burlington, MA
Job ID: 166200-1A
Date Posted: Oct 6, 2021
Category: Clinical Technician
Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary:. Assists Receiving Tech Specialist in receiving all pharmaceuticals for the pharmacy department,
distributing them to the appropriate area and packaging all medications into unit of use for patient administration. Assists
the purchasing team with inventory management and other related duties on a regular basis.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Maintains adequate inventory of all intravenous fluids for the storeroom area based on established par levels.
Routinely orders, verifies receipt and restocks bins, keeping the area free of clutter and unnecessary overstock, as
well as rotation of stock and removal of outdated fluids. This includes breakdown of pallet shipments requiring
2. Assists with restocking of daily carousel inventory from the wholesaler order which includes the identification of
3. Manages the rotation of overstock through the carousel system to minimize waste due to expiration, while
maintaining accurate inventory counts in the system.
4. Removes outer cardboard from wholesaler and direct manufacturer medication shipments prior to distribution to the
appropriate pharmacy areas.
5. Assists with receipt of patient specific specialty orders and delivery to appropriate destination for admixture and/or
6. Using established guidelines, packages non-hazardous and non-controlled oral solid and liquid medications into unit
of use packaging for distribution to patients.
7. Understands and follows Lahey Hospital & Medical Center procedures for compliance with Drug Supply Chain
Security Act that pertain to their role (i.e. identification and reporting of suspect drug, receipt of drug for accuracy
and retention of packing slips/transaction documents for purchasing team). Exercises extra caution when handling
controlled substances, hazardous, high cost and temperature sensitive medication.
8. Verifies accuracy of shipments received against packing slips and follows established process for receipt of
controlled substances. Assists with procedures for receiving hazardous medication implemented for compliance
with USP 800 regulations.
9. Assists member of purchasing team with coverage of Receiving Technician Specialist duties in his/her absence,
including packaging of hazardous and controlled medication
10. Helps to identify and label all medication received without manufacturer barcode prior to dispensing for scanning
11. Assists the purchasing team with monthly cycle counts as directed.
12. Keeps pharmacy receiving area, storeroom and non-sterile hazardous prep room, tidy and clean. Helps maintain
designated pharmacy areas free from cardboard of outer shipping containers.
13. Works independently and reports to manager when tasks are completed to assist with additional projects and duties
as assigned by manager.
14. Incorporates Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily
15. Complies with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Policies.
16. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and LHMC.
17. Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
18. Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
19. Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers. Consistently adheres to
Customer Service standards.
20. Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
21. Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
22. Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Must be a Registered Technician or Pharmacy Intern with the Massachusetts Board
of Pharmacy. The Pharmacy Technician I may also be registered as a Pharmacy Technician Trainee with the
Massachusetts Board of Pharmacy, complete between 500 to 1000 hours of employment and receive a Pharmacy
Technician registration with the Board of Pharmacy within one year. . No individual can work as a Pharmacy Technician
Trainee for more than 1000 hours or more than 1 year (whichever is shorter). PTCB certification preferred.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Knowledge of standard pharmaceutical/medical terms, abbreviations and symbols
commonly used in the prescribing and dispensing of medications. Knowledge of policies and regulations pertaining to
handling and distribution of controlled substances and hazardous materials preferred. Experience with electronic medical
Experience: At least one year of comparable work experience, preferably in a healthcare setting.
About the Job
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.