Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 167144-1A
Date Posted: Aug 24, 2021
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: In an expanded staffing associate role, this administrative position contributes to the Hospital’s mission by collaborating with the patient care leaders to ensure adequate, appropriate, and fiscally responsible staffing levels. In addition to staffing associate responsibilities, at the direction of Associate Chief Nursing Officer of Nursing Resources and Informatics and the Nurse Manager of the Float Pool and Staffing Office, this position takes the lead on creating and disseminating staffing office processes and procedures and supports the collection, analysis, and entry of staffing data.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
Preferred: Post High School course work or degree
Required: Excellent customer service experience
· Healthcare experience, clinical or administrative, preferably in a hospital
· Experience scheduling staff
· Data entry, analysis
· Ability to problem-solve to determine creative solutions and options.
· Ability to courteously and tactfully gather and exchange information with a variety of recipients.
· Knowledge of basic medical terminology
· Ability to influence others in a team oriented environment.
· Strong computer skills, including sending emails.
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
· Knowledge of Excel
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
On-call Requirement: N/A
Schedule Requirements: Business operations are 5 a.m. to 11:30 p.m, 7 days/week. Schedule rotation required to cover weekends, holidays and all shifts if necessary
Travel Requirements: N/A
· Reports to the Staffing Supervisor
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Nursing Staffing Office team, this position:
Under the direction of the Float Pool/Patient Placement Supervisor or Clinical Supervisor contacts staff to adjust staffing based on volume and patient care needs:
· Monitors scheduled staff against patient census throughout shift.
o Checks/answers call-in line to receive and communicate absences and offers to work where necessary.
o When patient needs indicate excess scheduled staff, and with approval from nursing supervisor, calls staff to either cancel or place on recall. Attempts to place calls timely to avoid staff traveling to the hospital unnecessarily and incurring minimum call-in pay.
o When patient needs indicate, contacts staff to ask them to adjust their schedule and/or take an open shift to meet our staffing needs.
o Contact units to communicate need to float staff from one area to another based on patient care and staffing needs.
o Prioritizes which staff to contact based on protocols intended to maintain parity and minimize premium hours and overtime.
o Maintains awareness of staff hours scheduled and worked in accordance with the Mandatory Nurse Overtime policy.
o Collaborates with leaders regarding creative staffing solutions and requests for schedule changes, weighing daily/imminent needs with more long-term/weekly needs.
· Communicates staffing changes with units.
o Communicates with the charge nurse on each shift regarding the staffing plan for the next shift.
o Assigns and posts notice of float staff assignments each shift taking into account individual employee’s skill set and competencies and continuity of care issues.
o Enters time changes, absences and other data in Active Staffer to assist Nurse Managers with scheduling/payroll administration.
· Monitors and keeps Nurse Managers and/or Clinical Supervisor abreast of staff that are approaching 16 consecutive hours worked, overtime or ESP, so those individuals would be called off first if patient care needs allow.
· Assists Nursing leaders in projecting staffing needs
o Retrieving and reviewing historical tracked census and staffing data and trends to assist in determining appropriate staffing needs.
· Facilitates RN licensure compliance.
o Runs reports of licenses expected to expire within two weeks.
o Sends notification to staff of license status, reminding of necessity to renew license before expiration. Also advises pertinent leaders of potential licensure compliance issue. Follows up daily until staff member is in compliance. Escalates based on procedure.
· Produces badges. Collects replacement fee when appropriate.
· Produces and distributes various daily and weekly reports to units and nurse leaders.
· Maintains and enters data into Excel spreadsheets and generates Mandatory Nurse Overtime reports as needed.
· Inputs and compiles data and/or runs and creates reports on schedule and as requested. May provide some data summation of the data, highlighting variances, anomalies and trends.
· Researches issues for staffing department. Creates, implements, and disseminates changes in processes and procedures to create optimal staffing.
· Create department schedules as requested by Nurse Manager of Float Pool and Staffing Office and Associate Chief Nursing Officer of Nursing Resources and Informatics.
· Creates and maintains charts, dashboards and scorecards for internal groups and committees.
o Manipulates and displays the data results in easy to follow formats utilizing strong analytic proficiency, attention to detail and proficiency in Excel and other presentation applications
o Creates PowerPoint, scorecards and other presentation materials with minimal direction and in collaboration with the department leaders. Creates advanced Excel worksheets. Develops graphs from data.
· Compiles, inputs and submits data to external regulatory agencies as requested.
o Compiles and downloads reports, reformats data with excel formulas and submits to the Department of Public Health as required. Communicates submission results to key stakeholders.
o Inputs data for National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators (NDNQI) and Mass Hospital Association’s Patient Care Link mandatory submissions at the direction of the Associate Chief Nursing Officer of Nursing Resources and Informatics.
24 hours. Every other weekend.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.